Can You....

Decorating By charman Updated 31 May 2008 , 10:08am by playingwithsugar

charman Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:21am
post #1 of 7

freeze egg yolks? I had so many I just threw away last week, and it seemed like such a waste. My DH used a few for homemade ice cream, though yummy, too fattening to do that all of the time.

Just curious..does anyone know if this is doable, and if so, how do you suggest doing it properly?
Thanks,
C icon_smile.gif

6 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:54am
post #2 of 7

I looked it up and found this

Quote:
Quote:

You can freeze egg yolks. If youâre likely to use them within three days of cracking open the shell, you can safely keep them, covered, in the refrigerator. For longer storage, you can keep them in the freezer for up to four months.

Sharon Tyler Herbst, author of several cooking reference books, including The Food Loverâs Tiptionary (silly title, useful book) says that yolks become gelatinous when frozen, so gelatinous that they can be hard to use. She recommends that you mix 1/8 teaspoon of salt or 1-1/2 teaspoons of sugar or corn syrup with every four yolks you freeze to inhibit their becoming gelatinous. If you try this, make sure you label the container clearly, so that four months from now you know whether you are supposed to be making custard or Hollandaise

The only real question is, what will you eventually do with the egg yolks? You'll probably always use more egg whites than yolks, and always end up with too many. I throw mine out...it's kind of like taking the skin off the chicken, I tell myself it's not waste, it's healthier.

dulzuramagica Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:04am
post #3 of 7

check to see if your cake supply store sells frozen egg whites for some recipes they"ll do just fine and no waste

kbrown99 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:07am
post #4 of 7

The only real question is, what will you eventually do with the egg yolks? You'll probably always use more egg whites than yolks, and always end up with too many. I throw mine out...it's kind of like taking the skin off the chicken, I tell myself it's not waste, it's healthier.[/quote]

Creme brulee!!!!

I usually try to save the whites and freeze them in ice trays when i make the creme brulee. That way, I have just whites when I need them w/o having to throw away the yolks. Good to know I can freeze the yoks too.

bigmama1961 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:26am
post #5 of 7

I USE MINE IN CORNBREAD,AND BANANA PUDDING,AND COCONUT PIES,CUSTARD ,YOLK ARE SO USEFULL MAYBE THIS WILL HELP

Mike1394 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:48am
post #6 of 7

Send me the yolks LOLOL. Yes you can freeze them. You can buy egg whites in a carton. Most big grocery stores around here carry them.

Mike

playingwithsugar Posted 31 May 2008 , 10:08am
post #7 of 7

Two words -

pastry cream

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%