Double Chocolate Layer Cake

Decorating By daisy114 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 1:52am by Sweetpeazmom

daisy114 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisy114 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:04am
post #1 of 25

Has anyone used this recipe from Epicurious? I need two batches of it for my pan and was wondering if I could just double all the ingredients or are you not suppose to do that with a scratch cake??

24 replies
alanahodgson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanahodgson Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:19am
post #2 of 25

I use this recipe. The issue with doubling a recipe usually has to do with the amount of levening needed for the amount of exposed surface area of the cake. So supposedly, for really large cakes you are supposed to need less baking powder (or is it more?) However, I've used this cake for my 12x18 pan several times (it takes about 1 and 1/2 recipes) and have had no problems as is. The cake doesn't rise super high anyway. Its very dense, dark, chocolatey and delicious! I do make the batches separately, though because my mixer bowl isn't large enough for a double. My mixer sends enough ingredients flying at a single recipe of this cake. If I doubled it I'd have batter on the ceiling!

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:40am
post #3 of 25

This is my main chocolate cake recipe. I use it for cupcakes too! Yes, you can double it and you can also half it for a smaller recipe. I find it doesn't rise high so I fill my pans 3/4 full.

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #4 of 25

Jacqui, do you get a dense cake/cupcakes? i've made this recipe once as cupcakes (350F for 14 min) and they were super light and moist. i wanted to halve the recipe but didn't want to bother with splitting 3 eggs, so i made the full recipe and got 44 cupcakes. so many cupcakes!

alanahodgson Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #5 of 25

When I have to split three eggs, I use one egg and I have some powdered egg whites that I use in place of the half egg. It seems to work out fine. I haven't done it for this recipe (I usually just split the egg) but its been perfectly successful in my other recipes.

ladyonzlake Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 25

The whole recipe makes 40 cupcakes...I use an icecream scoop for the batter.
To halve 3 eggs, take 1 egg and whip it slightly and use 1/2 of it. I half it all the time and my cupcakes and cake are moist and sooooo delicious!! I fill the cupcakes 3/4 full too!

chestercheeto Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chestercheeto Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 25

since it was my first time with this recipe, i didn't want to change anything. but i'm pretty sure i won't need 44 cupcakes for too many occasions, so i'll try splitting the egg next time. i use the large oxo cookie scoop and the cupcakes rise just above the rim. i've never baked it as a cake and lots of reviews say the cake is dense. do your cupcakes come out dense too? i'm just wondering because mine were light, and wasn't sure if i did something wrong. i weigh the flour, 4.25 oz per cup (lightly spooned).

ladyonzlake Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:06pm
post #8 of 25

Chakkakin,
No this is not a dense cake at all. It's light and moist but also really rich with chocolate! I made these cupcakes with this recipe...YUMMM and like I said I use this as my main recipe for all of my chocolate cakes and I get rave review everytime!
LL

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:07am
post #9 of 25

I can't see the epicurious recipe you refer to. Which one? I'd love to try....

johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 6:09am
post #10 of 25

Lady- is that ganache on your hihats? What type of icing- marshmallow?
look yummy!

ladyonzlake Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:18pm
post #12 of 25

I made my IMBC recipe but left out the butter for the frosting then I melted semi-sweet chocolate, added a little oil and dipped some of them but the frosting kept trying to fall off so I drizzled some also.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:12pm
post #13 of 25

ladyonzlake, you do know you have just singlehandedly caused me to lose all self control with that one picture right? oh you didn't? now you do.

dang... those look really good. must. eat. chocolate.

johnson6ofus Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:21pm
post #14 of 25

I agree! Gotta try it- that for the recipe link and the finishing tips. Man- bet that will cost me the diet for the WHOLE WEEK!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:40pm
post #15 of 25

yummmmmm those cuppies look yummmmm. oh yummm....

yummymummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yummymummy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:57pm
post #16 of 25

This recipe sounds sooo good! I notice that the recipe calls for only greasing the pans and using wax paper...no flouring. Is that what everyone does? Is their a reason for not greasong and flouring the pans? Has anyone used parchment paper instead of waxed?

alanahodgson Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:03pm
post #17 of 25

I've used parchment instead of waxed paper. It works fine. I don't usually use it, though. I make homemade cake release (equal parts flour, oil, shortening) and that works well enough-especially for the smaller pans. Sometimes I have problems with sticking in my larger pans and kick myself that I didn't use parchment paper.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:21pm
post #18 of 25

I actually have the issue with this recipe (I think the cake was on the cover... gotta go look). I've had it for at least four months. I purchased all of the ingredients and then punked out on making it because I thought it would be too dense. Gonna go make it - and try the high hat thing. It looks too cute!

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:31pm
post #19 of 25

I jus' gotta say....Jacqui sent me home with some of those hi hat cupcakes and I gave a couple to my parents and my dad said, and I quote, "...man, these are the best cupcakes I've ever had IN MY LIFE."
No joke....they rocked!!!!!!

yummymummy Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 11:54pm
post #20 of 25

So, when you make this into cuppies, is there an issue w/th them sticking to the cupcake liners? Do the liners peel away nicely from the cuppies? I'm thinking of using this in a cupcake bouquet I have to do. icon_smile.gif

alanahodgson Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 12:51am
post #21 of 25

they peel away from the cupcake liners just fine.

claudia05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
claudia05 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 3:28am
post #22 of 25

Has anyone baked the double chocolate layer cake in a 14 inch round pan? I'd like to use this recipe for a wedding cake. Also, does the cake freeze well? How long does the cake stay fresh?

yummymummy Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 10:04am
post #23 of 25

I would also like to know about the texture and durability if this cake. Has anyone ever used it for wedding cakes or stacked cakes?

alanahodgson Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 9:39pm
post #24 of 25

This is my go-to chocolate cake. I've made it alot. Its always pretty dense for me. People pick the cake up and are surprised at how heavy it is. But I only get compliments on the flavor. In my experience, the cake needs to be handled delicately. It will break. I have used it for stacked cakes. I've also made it in my 12x18 several times. Never in a 14" round though.

Sweetpeazmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetpeazmom Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 1:52am
post #25 of 25

lady- love your HiHat cuppies. They remind me of the chocolate dipped ice cream cones I use to get as a kid from the Pavillion at the beach. I've definitely got to try this recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%