Mixing My Gel Colors With Everclear.. Big Problem With Me!!

Decorating By wgoat5 Updated 31 May 2008 , 3:48am by tlreetz

wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:37am
post #1 of 10

Everybody does this... shouldn't be a problem right??? Well it seems to be for me.. EVERYTIME I mix it glops up.. looks like it gets congealled (sp) It NEVER smooths out to a paint like consistency for me. I use Americolor AND Chefmaster all of my colors I replace after a 8 month period if I haven't used them.. I know it couldn't be my colors.. so what is going on??? Why am I not having the same great results as everybody else?

I get to a project I want to do .. then see I have to paint and I seize up.. I just know it won't be easy for me..

HELP ME... Please!!!

Thanks a whole bunch for even just reading this and taking your precious time out to do so icon_smile.gif

9 replies
TooMuchCake Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:04am
post #2 of 10

Can you try mixing the Everclear with your petal dusts or luster dusts instead of gels? They're what I use to paint with (when I have to, LOL, because I'm terrible at painting!)

Deanna

wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #3 of 10

Oh I do fine with that Deanne.. I was just wondering why I am having such problems with mixing of the gel and everclear .. everybody else it seems to work for LOL

lorijom Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:17am
post #4 of 10

Christi, I haven't done much painting but when I do I much prefer to mix the gel colors with glycerin. I'm sure it's not an "official" way to paint but it works for me icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:20am
post #5 of 10

Thanks Lori.. its worth a try icon_smile.gif and they put glycerin in fondant don't they? Can't hurt anyone LOL

lorijom Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:29am
post #6 of 10

I haven't had anybody keel over yet....LOL

I always have glycerin on hand because I make my fondant and it only takes a drop or two to thin your colors. If you try it let me know how it goes.

tlreetz Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:38am
post #7 of 10

Don't mix the alcohol with the coloring. Instead, dip your brush into the alcohol, then into the gel and paint away!

wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:42am
post #8 of 10

Ohh is that how they do it???? Wow I never even thought of that!

thanks icon_smile.gif

CakeMommyTX Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:46am
post #9 of 10

I mix my gel colors (americolor) with Vodka and they work fine, maybe Everclear is too strong?
I've only ever had Everclear soaked in cherries icon_redface.gif , those also worked fine thumbs_up.gif

tlreetz Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:48am
post #10 of 10

BTW, if you are painting a thick gumpaste piece, let it dry first, otherwise the "paint" can bead up on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%