Royal Icing Q

Decorating By CakesbyBecca Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 12:13am by TexasSugar

CakesbyBecca Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyBecca Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 6

Are you not supposed to refrigerate RI? I made a cake for my ILs and when I took it out of the fridge today, I noticed that the RI sun rays I made were soft and droopy. Is this normal? Is it because I refrigerated the cake, or is it because I stuck them into a cake covered in bc?
TIA!

Becca

5 replies
diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 6

buttercream breaks down royal icing. icon_wink.gif

CakesbyBecca Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:06am
post #3 of 6

So I can never use RI in combination with Buttercream, or can I only do it if it's going to be eaten within hours?

Becca

azureblu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azureblu Posted 31 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #4 of 6

Both things you did will melt the royal icing. Just before boxing up your cake, place sugar cubs into the cake just so the tops are showing. Dab small amount of royal icing on the tops of the sugar cubs. Then place your royal icing design on top and let it dry.
Also the longer your royal icing design has to dry, the better it will last even if put on buttercream cakes. I make up my royal icing designs no less than one to two weeks in advance.. I also make up some designs just to have on hand for last minute orders icon_lol.gif

CakesbyBecca Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 9:15pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you for the tips!

Becca

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:13am
post #6 of 6

Moisture can break down royal icing as well. I think it is that and not the grease in the buttercream that does it. If it would never work sitting on a cake then we wouldn't ever use it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%