Feeling Very Discouraged....

Decorating By kjgjam22 Updated 5 Jun 2008 , 2:55am by Ivy419

kjgjam22 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 23

Hi Everyone,

I am feelin very discouraged at the moment. I had an order for a cake for today. The cake came out very good but the swiss meringue icing meltd on me. Its awful looking. I called the lady and she sounds dissapointed but she said I can bring it to her tomorrow. So now I am making the caramel and the swiss butter cream again to try it once more. My dad looked at me and said that everyone has bad days. I know that is true but I still feel bad. I may not charge the lady for the cake or I mag give her a discount. Thanks for the listening ear. I needed to get this off of my chest.

Kathy

22 replies
cariage Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 23

I am sorry that happened to you. I haven't had the icing melt on me...yet. But I have had to scrape off all cream cheese icing on a 3 tiered cake at 2AM and make buttercream instead and still have the cake ready for 7AM. For me at least, when 1 thing goes wrong it ALL goes wrong. I just had to step away from the cake for around 30 minutes. When I came back I felt more refreshed and things seemed to go a little better. Hope things work out for you.
Good luck

CakeWhizz Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:18pm
post #3 of 23

Big hug to you Kathy ((0))! I also had a major disaster this week. It was my first major client and I really wanted to impress but it all went horribly wrong. Take a deep breath and try again. Someone once said something to me which has always helped. It's not how well you can make a cake, it's how well you can recover from a cake disaster!

superstar Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 23

A big hug for you Kathy, we all have disasters at some time or another, or things don't turn out the way they should, you will recover & don't give up.

kjgjam22 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 23

thanks guys. i have stepped away from it for a bit. i have made the components for the icing. they are cooling now. i will let you all knw how it turns out. thanks again for the words of encouragement.

ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 23

Don't get discouraged Kathy, we have all had disasters! You did the right thing by stepping away and taking a break. I do that all the time and sometimes I have some major swear words to go with it! Take a break, breath and refocus...it'll be okay!!

SweetResults Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:40pm
post #7 of 23

Must have been something in the air this week. I had a 3D basketball cake to do and the things that gave me the most trouble were the stupid shirt and pennant that were going on the base - I had to remake BOTH of them TWICE!! And I am STILL not thrilled with them icon_sad.gif Which kills me because the hoop and ball came out pretty good.

If you are re-doing the cake you should still charge and not give a discount, you took the time to make sure she had a great product in time for her party, that's all that matters, in the end she will appreciate you did that instead of just giving her the other cake.

Chin up! icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:02pm
post #8 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetResults

Must have been something in the air this week. I had a 3D basketball cake to do and the things that gave me the most trouble were the stupid shirt and pennant that were going on the base - I had to remake BOTH of them TWICE!! And I am STILL not thrilled with them icon_sad.gif Which kills me because the hoop and ball came out pretty good.

If you are re-doing the cake you should still charge and not give a discount, you took the time to make sure she had a great product in time for her party, that's all that matters, in the end she will appreciate you did that instead of just giving her the other cake.

Chin up! icon_smile.gif

i didnt get to do it intime for when they wanted it but she said i could bring it in tomorrow. thats the good part. thanks for the advice.

kjgjam22 Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:37pm
post #9 of 23

update....i was able to scrape of the icing. so i do not have to bake over the cake. still waiting on stuff to cool to finish the icing.

SweetResults Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #10 of 23

Yay! Good luck!

kjgjam22 Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:19am
post #11 of 23

ok...update....the cake is great. i made the icing again and it was great. the cake looks delicius, and is ready for delivery tomorrow. thanks again for your help and advice.

cc rocks. icon_smile.gif

bethola Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #12 of 23

How is the weather there? I'm only asking because today I did two cakes for a baby shower and it is sooo humid in Western Kentucky today that my cakes are actually SWEATING!!! I HATE it when it does that! The buttercream crusts but then sweats....YUCK!!

Oh well, mine are done and sitting over the a/c vent with it set on 65 degrees! I'm COLD but my cakes aren't sweating anymore! Oh the things we do for our CAKES! LOL

Glad everything turned out okay for you!

Beth

ssunshine564 Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:47am
post #13 of 23

Glad everything worked out for you. We all have day's like that every once in a while.

weirkd Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #14 of 23

We've all been there! I had a delivery that was two hours away with whipped cream icing under my fondant. Well my speedmeter & AC blew the night before the delivery! So needless to say the cake looked like donuts instead of round tiers!
But the bride didnt care! She said everyone still thought it looked amazing and they all loved the taste! So thats what really counts!
But hugs to you! Have a glass of wine or something and just chalk it up to a learning experience.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #15 of 23

Glad to hear it all worked out for you and sorry I didn't see this earlier.

As someone mentioned earlier, the hallmark of a good decorator is knowing how to hide yhe mistakes without them looking like mistakes that have been hidden!

superstar Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:12am
post #16 of 23

Glad every thing came out fine.

Ivy419 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:04pm
post #17 of 23

I totaly agree with somthing in the air yesterday!! I had the biggest disaster of my career yesterday. icon_cry.gif I made a beautiful four teir stacked hexagon cake for a wedding with beautiful gum paste orchaids all red velvete with buttercream frosting, I had been planning this cake for 6 months with my client. In the morning the day of the wedding i got it ready for transportation , i had three people to help deliver. while on the way delivering the cake got to soft with the heat , it couldnt handle the delivery drive and started to collapse. I made it to the reception site ,got the cake on a cart and rushed it to the back. It was too late icon_surprised.gif . It was ruined. I was so destroyed icon_cry.gif . I started to ball my eyes out. Luckly the hotel staff saw me and the head chef helped me fix what was left into three seperate cakes for display . because the bottom teir was so crushed the just took it and cut it up for the guests to eat. I still feel bad for the bride and kinda ashamed icon_sad.gif . I guess whatever happenes, happens gotta take the good with the bad. we are only human. I have yet to speak to the bride and kinda scared icon_sad.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:27pm
post #18 of 23

Oh, Ivy.....I'm so sorry this happened to you, the bride & groom, and your cake. {{{{{hugs}}}}}

Ivy419 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #19 of 23

Thank you Grace! icon_smile.gif

kjgjam22 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:45am
post #20 of 23

ok...ivy your was worse than mine. i know how you feel. sorry this happened to you too.

i have an update though...the lady called....i was not home...my brother gave me the message. he said that she said the cake was out of this world..that is was fantabulous (fabulous) (dont know if that is a jamaican word or not) i feel better. icon_smile.gif

thanks agan for all the support.

Ivy419 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:50am
post #21 of 23

Thats awesome kjgjam22 .. I am so happy for you! icon_biggrin.gif and thank you also for the support. I still am waiting to speak to the bride,but i did leave her a message to call me so we can hopefuly get it resolved. i will keep u posted! ......

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:54pm
post #22 of 23

kjgjam, glad it worked out so well for you! Good news! As for fantabulous, I always thought that was slang for a cross between fantastic and fabulous. icon_smile.gif

Ivy, don't forget to keep us posted on the outcome of that wedding cake and your conversation with the bride.

Ivy419 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:55am
post #23 of 23

I will keep you posted... the bride is still on her honeymoon , so i still have not spoken with her, just the day of the wedding i left her a voice mail. Im still anxious icon_cry.gif and really scared! Hopefully things work out . Pray for me please , im gonna need it Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%