I'm A Dork....but Who Of Us Isn't? ;)

Decorating By ccr03 Updated 6 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm by bakincakin

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:29pm
post #31 of 51

My wedding was 11 years ago (In 2 weeks). My mom practically planned the whole day so that would be the first thing to change (my ideas didn't matter). I got married 2 weeks after I turned 19. I'm a low key simple person and my wedding was anything but. It was beautiful but everyone there said they could tell it was my moms day not mine.
So the first thing to be changed would be that wedding dress I absolutely hated but didn't have the heart to tell my mom when she saw me in it and cried. No veil that looks like it's an alien space ship orbiting my head with beads and fluffy stuff. My hair would be down instead of in a bun, I'm not 90!
I would have had the music I wanted. My mom somehow forgot to give the DJ my music choices once she saw them icon_rolleyes.gif
The food would be the same! It was so good I popped the hooks off the back of my dress. I was only being held in by 3 hooks at the time icon_redface.gif I'm a small person too, but I ate enough for 6 that night.
The cake I had was very pretty. All basketweave with red roses and baby's breath and navy blue ribbon between each tier. I had a specialty made topper of a bride and a Marine. They even handpainted my DH's ribbons and medals on it to match him.
If I had to do it again I would probably have a different cake. Maybe something with fondant draping,or since my life is crazy I'd have an upside down looking cake.
We are re-newing our vows in 4 years so I guess I have time to figure it out. Just something small and simple, but yet the true wedding we both wanted.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:01pm
post #32 of 51

The one thing I would change is having a real cake...oh, and I would pick my own out. I would have the hardest time picking only one out! I think I would do mini cakes at each table, all different but with similar colors/elements.

For my wedding I was married at a beach town an hour away from here. I was not that interested in my cake (long before I loved cake decorating) and my mom decided to make it, but wanted to do it ahead of time so she used dummies. I didn't even see the cake until we were setting up the night before - she did a nice job but not really my style. At the time I was happy with it though!

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:32pm
post #33 of 51

The one thing I would have changed about my wedding was the groom.

Heh.

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:37pm
post #34 of 51
Quote:
Quote:

The one thing I would have changed about my wedding was the groom.

ROTFLMBO!!!!!

That cracked me up!! icon_lol.gif

Amia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amia Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:03am
post #35 of 51

This is almost what I want. I would change the dots to scrollwork with pearls and separate each tier and have roses, orchids and callas inbetween.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=910983

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:39am
post #36 of 51

Wow, there are so many things I would change about my wedding if I could. It was 15 years ago this past May 8th. But judging by the picture of my cake, you'd have thought it was 30 years ago! I just told the guy at the hall that I wanted the cake from a certain Brooklyn (NY) bakery (because I had heard they were good - before I knew I could have hired my own baker!), and my wedding colors. Turns out that bakery and that venue/hall were contracted to eachother anyway. lol

Here's what my cake looked like back then (what you can see between the bad photo (by the photographer), all those roses! and all those plastic pieces!). And what would I change - everything!!
LL

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:44am
post #37 of 51

By the way, I just noticed two things about that cake: 1) my wedding colors were seafoam green and peach - don't know why there are so many yellow roses amongst that monstrosity of roses! lol

and; 2) if you look at the base of the top tier, someone had an accident as there's a portion just to the right side of the front that is missing. Hmmm......wonder if someone's finger was where it shouldn't have been! If so, I know who's - DH's cousin! lol

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 31 May 2008 , 8:52pm
post #38 of 51

dragonflydreams wrote:

Quote:
Quote:

Iheartcake wrote:
Oh I am right there with you! I recently switched departments at work and it is soooo slooooow. I spend 90% of the day online (i.e.. CC )

I loved my wedding cakes.. they were in the shape of a bride and a groom. (picture lego people..hehe). Hard to say if I were to do it over if I'd go with them. I loved them.. but after seeing how many incredible cakes are out there.. it would be so hard to choose.
. . . do you have a picture . . . can you attach it here so we can see . . .

I'll have to see if I can get a picture scanned. I'll try to do that tomorrow. All the pics are actual photos.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 5:17pm
post #39 of 51

. . . I'll be watching for it . . . thumbs_up.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:00pm
post #40 of 51

13 years ago.....the wedding coordinator (sort of) knew this guy that did cakes who was supposedly a baker. He did my cake, to serve 400, for $150!! thumbsdown.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif if I would've known then what I know now. Thank goodness I picked white on white, which I think I would still do by the way. If it had colors on it I think my 11 yr old DD could've done a better job piping!! UGH! When I see those pics.....so you live and learn. I would definitely pick the same design though. It was SUPPOSED to be 4 hexagon shapes with different piping techniques on each layer. I had a pic then of what I'd wanted but he said it would be too heavy if he stacked the layers all together. So we ended up with 3 rounds stacked and on pillars with like 6 or 8 satellite cakes around it. White and choc, of which the choc tasted like FISH!!! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif HOW DOES THAT HAPPEN???? We lost the anniversary layer so that didn't get eaten! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif HHHMmmmm.....wonder where that ended up ??? icon_rolleyes.gif

Speaking of, did anyone actually eat their anniversary cake? If so was it good???? icon_confused.gificon_lol.gif

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:30pm
post #41 of 51

Well, my OH has refused to marry me, so I don't care about what style he likes (he likes the look of plain cakes staked with a 2in gap for fresh roses to be inserted between the tiers - I'm not fussed with that one!). So, as it's not going to happen, either of these cakes would be my choice (made by me, of course!), but the cat one done in tones of pink lilac and silver rather than the colours here.
LL
LL

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 2:52pm
post #42 of 51

My husband and I went by horse drawn carriage to the court house where my husband's aunt (justice of the peace) married us - then on to Ruby Tuesday's (our hang out at the time) with a few friends/family. The following day we rented the equestrian center pavallions and had a big blow out with pit ham, beef, turkey - beer truck - dj, etc. We showed up in our country western wedding attire and did the dances and cake then changed into something more comfortable and partied!

Now, about the cake - my mom made my cake. My colors were supposed to be mauve and white with a cowboy / cowgirl topper but ended up being white with green, orange, brown and maybe even the mauve (as my mother said - pretty fall colors) - I don't remember because I was too angry - all sitting on an unlevel floating tier stand with each tier leaning differently. I couldn't tell you what it tasted like because the only piece I got was shoved up my nose icon_lol.gif while I was smearing my husbands up his icon_lol.gif I didn't even want the top tier to save for my anniversary - I don't know if it got eaten or thrown away BUT, we all had a great time! Who knows - maybe subconsciously that's why I started decorating - so other brides wouldn't have that problem with their cakes - of course each wedding cake I make - I think of mine and do my best to give them my best!

Debbie

cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 3:56pm
post #43 of 51

I'm in the process of planning...my biggest sruggle is that I'm a major control freak when i comes to planning and execution of events. Especially my own icon_redface.gif

Since I have talked him into letting me have pink (yay!) it's just a matter of what type of flowers and whether I trust anyone enough to make it for me. I am still tossing around the idea of doing it myself, but I'm very torn on the decision because I'm too anal and critical of my work and I'm afraid I'd throw the whole works away because of frustration. icon_biggrin.gif

Neither of us are huge fans of fondant, so we'll probably decide on buttercream, but that adds addtional pressure to me (or whatever decorator I decide on) to make the thing as smooth as possible. icon_rolleyes.gif But, I'm still undecided on style, there's just so much to choose from!!

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:04pm
post #44 of 51

I would want either this one:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=955843

or this one:

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1210605

or something similar. Unfortunately, I wasn't into caking then, and had no idea this kind of stuff could be made out of cake! icon_cry.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:18pm
post #45 of 51

urrgh!!!

Well, it's a good thing that I am starting to think of the cake now - because if I waited until I got engaged the engagement would last forever.

I'm thinking I would like something traditional, but then something totally non-traditional as well!!!

trulyjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trulyjulie Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:21pm
post #46 of 51

My wedding cake wasn't really "decorated" we had a tiered cake for 100 and then sheet cakes, still torted and everything, looked just like the cake. I was using advice from a book on saving money. We had the cake decorated they way the bakery does their small cakes in their bakery case, this one has chocolate plaques all around alternating white and dark chocolate with swirls. It was pretty, dramatic and tastes great which is what we wanted. Now that I am into cakes and I like scrapbooking I would want one that has words all the way around, different font on each tier and white on white. hmmmmmmm although our theme was travel so maybe I'd get a big luggage cake instead!!!

jamiemichelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiemichelle Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 4:56pm
post #47 of 51

I loved my wedding cake, although if I were getting married now, I might choose something different: it'd be so hard to decide. To save money and because I wanted a big cake, the actual tiered cake was dummies (still can't believe the price we got for them) and we served sheet cake. It was ivory buttercream and my colors were navy and hunter green so the roses were dyed navy and the green was incorporated with the ivy. My topper was two brass swans that belonged to my mother and were purchased while we lived in the Middle East.

I actually had three cakes as I had three receptions around the country. My first cake was a two tiered cake with buttercream frosting and roses in Utah in July outside at a park around noon. The cake totally slid apart! It wasn't doweled at all.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #48 of 51

Hard to say what I want because it keeps changing. But the common theme is traditional stacked (no pillars-ick), no fountain (double-ick), and very simple but elegant. I want my tiers to be taller than 4" and the tiers to only have a 2" increase per tier. And flowers (of which I look forward to making myself icon_confused.gif ).

I want each tier to be a different flavor and to have different fillings between each layer (i know, tons of work) but I want that wow factor when people see the cake. Definitely will be a pistachio tier and one tier will be chocolate with PB filling, white chocolate, and dark chocolate. Yum. Planned to be entirely iced in white chocoloate. icon_lol.gif Okay, maybe I have more planned out than I thought.

Now where's that ring..... thumbs_up.gif

pinklesley1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinklesley1 Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:05pm
post #49 of 51

I got married this last Dec. 08
I did my own wedding cake, and I was up the night before until 4:30 am
the day before my wedding with one of my maids of honors and 2 of my bridesmaids finishing the cake.
This was the first BIG cake that I have ever done. And my first staked cake. The one thing I would change was the fact that I asked my dad for help... he is so nosy... He is always complaining about SOMETHING... to this day he still complains about something on my cake.
If its not that it is too busy, or the cake is too dry... he drives me nuts...
LL

chrissysconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrissysconfections Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 5:49pm
post #50 of 51

When we first saw our wedding cake we thought it was beautiful....and we still do...BUT knowing what I know now about decorating it was less then it should be for the price in MHO. I got 3 teirs in btc with star borders..doubled on top with peach/ivory and single on the bottoms. The flower arrangement on the cake was stunning and definitely this designer's forte' and the way they were applied to the cake was what really did it for us. My bridal colors were copper and ivory and it was a fall wedding. All the flowers were complimenting fall colors and made for a really beautiful arrangement.

Things I would change......the whole wedding! My DH and I have fallen in and out of friendships with just about all the members of our wedding party. My in-laws didn't want to be there and didn't even come to the reception! The wedding was about 175 ppl and way too expensive for us since we paid for it ourselves. We both said if we had it to do over again we would have gone back to the beach where we first vacationed together and later honeymooned and have a small private ceremony there. No fancy dresses or stuffy suits and definitely NO HEELS!!!
Our cake would be beach themed with sea shells (as it's a tradition for us to collect them together on moonlit walks) with perhaps a lighthouse topper since DH is a collector or sea turtles since we both pretty much love anything water related.

Regarding a previous poster's question about eating the anniversary tier. We actually did and it held up really well.....especially considering my mother just slapped it on a plate and barely covered it in tin foil. We stuck it in our tiny chest freezer in the basement and it got knocked around ...pushed to the bottom and heaven only knows what else and it really tasted good once thawed. We had french vanilla with btc filling btw.

bakincakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakincakin Posted 6 Jun 2008 , 6:51pm
post #51 of 51

My wedding was in July of 1996 and it was done very simple, but very elegant. My dress was off white, some beading at the top, plain at the bottom and no train. I wore flowers in my hair instead of a veil. My colors were off white, black and mauve. My bridesmaids (3) wore dresses from the Vanity which were on sale for $19.99. They were exactly what we were looking for, black and offwhite and knee length. A dress they could actually wear again. My cake was 3 tiers consisting of marble, chocolate and carrot (hubby's favorite). It was iced in buttercream with real flowers scattered here and there on top and around it. The lady charged us $100.00 for it and it was wonderful. I would only change who we had DJ. She sucked. thumbsdown.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%