Making My First "real" Cake Questions

Decorating By satasmith Updated 30 May 2008 , 10:51pm by satasmith

satasmith Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:40pm
post #1 of 6

i am making my first real cake tonight and i have a couple of questions
1. after i crumb coat my cake, can I leave it out over night and decorate it in the morning?
2. Will my cake stay fresh overnight, I am crumb coating it and then just using regular buttercream to frost and decorate.

5 replies
Joybeth Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 6

Yes, you can, but I personally think it is better to go ahead and put the final layer of frosting on. I think it keeps it more moist than just the one crumb coat.

Rzrback Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 6

As long as it doesn't have a perishable filling it will be fine. You might want to cover it with something, just to keep dust or flies off of it, but leaving it at room temperature will be just fine.

Have fun!
Rzrback

MegWinn Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 6

Like the others have said it is fine to leave it out, but I find it easier to refrigerate the cake after crumb coating it and THEN apply the final layer of BC...just what works for me!

vdrsolo Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:07pm
post #5 of 6

I do this all the time for wedding cakes....fill and crumb coat on Thursday, frost and decorate on Friday.

It is always best to let your cake settle several hours/overnight after filling the cake. If you use a crusting buttercream, do not cover it or the buttercream will not crust, and you will have a mess when putting on that final layer of frosting.

satasmith Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:51pm
post #6 of 6

thank you all so much...I will post the finished product on saturday...wish me luck!! i think I might need it

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%