Open House For Home Bakery....good Idea/bad Idea?

Business By yelle66 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm by MichelleM77

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:25pm
post #1 of 6

I am kind of tossing around the idea of having an open house this month after I get my permit. I wanted to make a few cakes and have them here for people to try. I mostly want to invite friends, family and neighbors (we live in a pretty big neighborhood). Is that something anyone has done and can recommend? I just want to mostly let my neighbors know what I do and let them try my cake so they feel comfortable ordering.

TIA for any advice,

Danielle

5 replies
MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:01pm
post #2 of 6

I've been thinking about that too, but not in my home (we live on a private drive with one other house and no parking), maybe finding a small hall or hotel to let me use their room on an off time and/or date....probably closer to the holidays though.

One question for you....do you live in a development with "rules?" I ask this only because some people have had to close up "shop" because of their neighborhood's regulations, their neighbors complaining, etc. I'm not talking city regulations, I can't think of the right word here though. Somebody save me!

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 6

yeah, like a home owners association. You may also consider if you are comemrcially zoned, having potential 'customers' like that may be totally against your zoning laws. It's one thing to bake and deliver, it's another to have people coming into your home like that. I like the idea though, it seems like it could be really welcoming and fun.

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 6

I had considered this also. I can have people come in for consults but noy pick ups. I think, for me, it would be too much traffice..... assuming a lot of poeple showed up.

I had considered a local meet and greet idea. I thought about renting the local community center space and invite people in for samples and to see my display. Unless I spent a small fortune on advertising I don't think I'd have much luck with this idea. I did ok conecting with some local fairs and craft shows. At least then there was more traffic. Fall is a good time to try and catch those kind of events.... unless you can find something indoors for the summer.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:47pm
post #5 of 6

I would think some like what Michelle suggested. I know that here customers cannot come to your home - it's against the rules.

I like the idea of renting a small hall to hosting a tasting of sorts. And thinking of even something 'grander' you could even hold like a one-day event workshop. Like invite a small number of speakers to come in and answer a lot of FAQ about their services - that would be good FYI towards any vendor. Did that make sense? I think eventually on down that line that is very much part of my ultimate business plan/career goals.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 6

I just made business contacts (dropped off samples, swapping website links, will refer to each other) with a bridal shop and a custom invite shop, and I'm hoping in the future we can put on our own mini bridal fair since we are all in the same town. Hopefully get more people to stop by than if I did it myself.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%