Really Struggling .. Please Help If Possible

Lounge By TheCakerator Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm by tracycakes

TheCakerator Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 10

OK so heres my dilemma .. my dh and I enjoy camping, and we go about once a year, according to my dh because it takes forever to unload the house, load the car, unload the tent, load it all back up, bring it home, unload it etc etc etc .. we have talked about getting a camper for a while, but now we are serious .... well I thought we were .. we only have two cars, both four cylinder cars, the grand am has a towing capacity of 1000 pounds. MOST 8ft campers weigh just that ... and I am ok getting a NICE used pop up .. but we are having a HARD time finding them around in our area .. so the next thing we talked about was getting a BRAND NEW quicksilver camper that is ultra light weight, about 850 pounds pretty much a tent on a camper box. We talked the company down to 5,000.00 and payments would only be 57.00 .. but I am scared to commit myself to that amount for five years .. when I could eventually by a used camper out right ... so what should I do? commit to payments and have a brand new camper or just wait until we find an older used one that may possibly cost us more money fixing it up down the road???

9 replies
mbelgard Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #2 of 10

If you aren't really sure that you want one get a used camper.

In our area they can easily be resold for at least close to what you paid for it and if you decide you really like having a camper it can be used as a trade on a new one.

They are generally cheaper in the fall than in the early summer, people are trying to get rid of them so they don't have storage issues, so if you don't have your heart set on getting one right this second wait a few months.

dinas27 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:16pm
post #3 of 10

Ok so I work for parks in AB, Canada and love camping.

Just some thoughts - how do you feel like having a camper will be easier? Is it because all your gear will be in one place? No looking for all the supplies you will need? Because it will have a washroom?

If you actually enjoy the tenting experience - ie dont need a cushy mattress to sleep on icon_lol.gif then perhaps you just need to be a little more organized with your gear? I have all my stuff in a couple of big rubbermaid containers. When I want to go out I can throw the whole container in the car and go. I just make sure that I replace and clean everything well before it is put away.

If loading the car is the issue - well you're still going to need to load all your food, clothes, kids etc. My aunt and uncle have a huge RV - still takes them an entire day/evening to get everything organized to leave.

Do you have the space to park the trailer all year round or will you need to pay for storage space?

Trailers do have their good points too... very little set up when you get there, and if it rains no setting up in the rain! BIG BONUS. But you're still going to have to clean everything when you get home.

I love bowlers though! I dont know how much they are new but you might be able to find a used one, I think that they are fairly light as well.

TheCakerator Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 10

well, I am ok with getting a clean used pop up camper, in fact last night we drove an hour away to check one out, and while we were there it was sold out from under our noses .. the guy never asked/told us what the other guy just "chatting" with him was doing ... so we said we wanted to buy it ten minutes after the other guy left he tells us he put a deposit down on it .. we told him we had the cash right then he wouldn't budge .. sigh .. anyways, yes it would make it easier for us to store our camping stuff in the camper instead of in the house (man. home) storage wouldn't be a problem, it could be kept in a garage at my grandma's house .. I do tent camp now, and don't despise it .. we have the air mattress and all but my dh has his heart set on this brand new camper ... deep down I know I am going to resent making payments .. and deep down I know I want my dh to be happy ... what a dilemma .. the guy at the RV place said he could lower the price for TODAY since its the last day of the month and they want it gone ...

tracycakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 10

My hubby and I lived in our RV for 2 years and travelled around the country and we have friends we camp with. They have tents, pop-ups, and campers including family that have rigs. Here's my 2 cents worth:

I recommend getting a small, used trailer. Go to your local dealership and let them know what you want. Many people will buy a new one, and within a few months, decide they want a bigger one. If you let the dealership know, they can keep an eye out for you if you aren't in a big hurry. I agree that you will probably get a better deal in the fall.

The reason say a fully contained trailer is that is takes us, about 30 minutes to pack up. I have dishes, cookware, toiletries, etc., that all stay in the rig. When we are travelling, I even keep non-perishable foods and some clothes like underwear and t-shirts out there. It even has it's own towels.

Packing is grabbing a few clothes, perishable food, and anything extra we want to take. When I get home, pull out the diry clothes, sheets, towels, and food and within a day, I'm ready to go again. I watched some friends with a pop-up take over 1/2 a day to pack everything up and I felt guilty because we were ready in 30 minutes.

Have fun, camp and spend time with your family! You're making great memories! As the commerical says, "Go RVing".

Sorry, it's so long. icon_redface.gif

bec_elias Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 10

I try to never do payments on anything, besides a mortgage and a car. If I don't have the cash I don't get it. Making those payments will get really old.

We got a nice used pop up for 1200 from There are always campers on there. It was just an older couple who had taken really good care of it, and were done camping. We thought about taking out a loan, but didn't. Everytime we camp in it I am so glad that we bought it outright.

Good luck to you and no matter what you decide, you'll have fun..camping rocks! thumbs_up.gif

TheCakerator Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:18am
post #7 of 10

thanks everyone for all the replies, we ended up driving three hours to another state to pick up a camper that we saw around five pictures of on craigslist .. call us crazy, our family did! LOL anyways, the camper turned out to be really really clean and a great deal to boot so we loaded it up and pulled in the driveway at midnight with our new used camper ... we spent today loading it up with camping supplies that can stay in there permanently .. I just knew payments weren't going to settle well in my stomach and I'm glad we went the "used" route ... thanks again everyone!!!

dinas27 Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 2:27am
post #8 of 10

thats great! it always pays to be patient, on your wallet and and your stress level. happy camping!

TheCakerator Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 1:48pm
post #9 of 10

thanks dina!

tracycakes Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 8:17pm
post #10 of 10

Congratulations! Garage sales and estate sales are awesome places to pick up supplies to keep in the rig and it doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Quote by @%username% on %date%