What Icing For Red Velvet Cake?

Decorating By CakeInfatuation Updated 31 May 2008 , 3:03am by Chrisl121070

CakeInfatuation Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 9

I made Red Velvet Cake for the first time today just because I wanted to try it. It turned out good but doesn't really taste like anything I can identify. I feel like it needs something to help it. What kind of icing would you use?

Thanks!

8 replies
meldancer Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 9

Cream Cheese Icing is good with it. Red Velvet cake has a slight cocoa flavor to it, mostly known for its red color.

Babarooskie Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:07pm
post #3 of 9

I know a lot of people choose cream cheese icing. Personally, I'm not a fan of cream cheese icing. I prefer Butter Cream. But I did see something on the internet for red velvet they used a peanut butter frosting...

I haven't tried it yet, but hey, you never know!

meldancer Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:09pm
post #4 of 9

Forgot to mention that since it does have a hint of chocolate, I have covered it in ganache before too, with raspberry mousse filling. YUM!

DoniB Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:12pm
post #5 of 9

I like cream cheese, but my father swears that coconut frosting is the only way to go with red velvet. icon_razz.gif Strange man...

Staceface81 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #6 of 9

I like using the traditional Red Velvet icing. I never knew people used cream cheese until I started looking on forums here. icon_smile.gif
Here is a link to the recipe. It's super easy!
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,186,156165-229200,00.html

KKC Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:13pm
post #7 of 9

Cream Cheese frosting, but I have a reciped for a Coconut-Pecan frosting u might like.......

1 cup milk
2 Tbsp all-purp flour
2 sticks butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup shredded coconut
1 cup finely chopped pecans

To make icing:
Combine milk and flour in a small saucepan, cook over medium heat, whisking or stirring often until mixture thickens almost to a paste (2-4 minutes).
Remove from heat and scrape into a small bowl to cool completely.

MEANWHILE,
Beat butter with the mixer at high speed until light and fluffy.
Add the sugar in thirds, beating well each time until mix is creamy and fairly smooth.
Add cooled milk and flour mixture and beat for 1 to 2 minutes, scraping down the sides now and then to combine everything well.
Using a large sppon or ur spatula stir in vanilla, coconut and pecans mix until combined.

michellenj Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 9

I like these on Red Velvet:
Cream Cheese
White Choc. Buttercream
7 Minute with or without coconut

Chrisl121070 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:03am
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Staceface81

I like using the traditional Red Velvet icing. I never knew people used cream cheese until I started looking on forums here. icon_smile.gif
Here is a link to the recipe. It's super easy!
http://www.cooks.com/rec/doc/0,186,156165-229200,00.html

That's what I use as well, I don't like cream cheese icing on it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%