I Messed Up The Wedding Cake!!!!!

Decorating By rikley Updated 4 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm by MaisieBake

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 21

icon_redface.gif The bride asked for square cakes, I made them round!!!

The wedding's tomorrow, there's no way I can redo them? Any tips on what to do to keep the bride happy?

20 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 21

I would tell her you made a mistake and offer a partial refund or a credit for future cakes!! She may like the rounds better!!

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 21

Tell her that you are sorry. Apologize and give her a discount on the cake and a discount on another cake. It happens to the best of us. Good Luck. Be honest with her

rikley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rikley Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 21

Thank you for the advice, Im freakin out here!!! I called the bride but no answer (of course, who would expect her to be home the day before her wedding??!!)

Im going to offer to do an anniversary cake for her no charge with delivery and hope that smooths things over. I feel horrible!!! icon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gif

Muse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Muse Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:06pm
post #5 of 21

It's not as though it was malicious. Just an honest mistake. I think offering a discount would be the best bet.

Darci

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:09pm
post #6 of 21

My first thought was "will you still have enough servings?" I agree with the discount, either on this cake or on a later cake. But square cakes serve a lot more than round cakes. With the cakes you baked will she still have the servings she needs?

If not then you will want to do a Kitchen cake (rectangle cake with 2 or 4 layers of cake just like the wedding cake... so when cut you can't tell which cake it came from ) just needs to be iced with the same icing.

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:34am
post #7 of 21

Just a thought. If you would have enough servings...could you cut the round parts off to make it square?

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:20am
post #8 of 21

rikley how did the wedding go this weekend? was the bride still happy?

patrincia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patrincia Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:32am
post #9 of 21

Did you leave a message for the bride? I think what you mentioned is a great idea... I'm sure she will appreciate knowing ahead of time about your oversight, and I'm sure she'll love the freebie w/free delivery. Might be a nice gesture to box up some nice cookies or chocolates for the honeymoon too, and tuck a nice handwritten note inside saying "thanks so much for being so understanding... you're the best client ever!"... or something to that effect.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 1:33am
post #10 of 21

I hope everything went okay for you, I'd love to see pics of tjhe cake, I'm sure it was beautiful either way!

pgsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pgsmith Posted 3 Jun 2008 , 8:36pm
post #11 of 21

The cake should be free or cost of the ingredients only. Lots of posts talk about how important the wedding cake is etc. etc. Cutting down people who order cakes from SAm's Walmart etc. You did not make what the bride ordered. She has NO Choice but to use the cake. She shouldn't have to pay for it no matter how beautiful it might be. If the wrong dress was delivered the day of the wedding what would you say?

mbh724 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbh724 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:21am
post #12 of 21

I would offer a big price reduction or (depending on how upset she is) the cake free. A free cake a year from now is going to cut it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:34am
post #13 of 21

The cake really has to be free and with an apology. I specialize in wedding cakes, and nothing can go wrong. Nothing. I don't know how big this cake was, but staying up and rebaking or free are the only options. Most of us give a free anniversary cake anyway.

kansaslaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kansaslaura Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:41am
post #14 of 21

I totally agree with Leah. Put yourself in the bride's place--its not a discount situation.

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:57am
post #15 of 21

I too would do it for free. I feel so bad for you!! We are all human and make mistakes. But if your honest with her and let her know there is no charge for the cake that may help. Please keep us posted as to what happened. Good luck!

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 11:58am
post #16 of 21

I've stayed up late rebaking the wrong shapes...it's why we start in plenty of time...to fix the mistakes. It would be like receiving the wrong cake totally.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:05pm
post #17 of 21

I agree with Leah as well...wedding cakes are SO important, and I would have stayed up all night and baked the right shape and even if I was setting up the cake at the reception while people were dancing, I would have had the right cake there. Yes, we all make mistakes, but a round cake instead of square is huge. Not only is it different servings, but square cakes are very big around here and some people charge extra for them (I guess because they are harder to frost?) Brides love them.

I too would offer not only to refund all the funds, but to also give them the free anniversary cake. Your reputation is very important when it comes to weddings, and you should bend over backwards to make this bride happy. (Free anniversary cakes are pretty much the norm around here too)

TheDomesticDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheDomesticDiva Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm
post #18 of 21

I agree, do it for free.....and if you already charged her for it, send her back her money with a note explaining that you just can't charge her for your mistake. I had someone make the totally wrong cake for my wedding also (this was the wedding planner's fault though--not the baker, I must add), and 5 years later, I still wish I'd gotten the right cake. I still had to pay for it, and they had no time to make another one, so I was stuck with what they brought. And of course I couldnt say I dont want it bc I had to serve SOMETHING. I wasnt mean about it, just disappointed. Dont get me wrong, the cake I got was very delicious and looked really nice, but it was NOTHING like what I'd envisioned for my wedding. So whenever I look at pictures, or someone else looks at them, I have to explain that that's NOT what I ordered. My sister-in-law goes on and on about how perfect her wedding cake was and how much she loved it---wish I could say the same! So, all that to say, it DOES matter. More than it should, maybe, but it does.

kicky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kicky Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:09pm
post #19 of 21

Oh gosh what did you do. I feel for you. I've only just done my second wedding cake last weekend.

X

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 12:25pm
post #20 of 21

Man that's a tough one. I agree with Leah though.. I'd refund all monies. I give a free anniversary cake to all of my wedding clients.. most people do (or offer the top tier for free if they don't want the anniversary cake) so that gesture seems a little lacking.

I hope all went smooth and do update when you can. icon_smile.gif

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 2:36pm
post #21 of 21

Yes, full refund.

Let us know how you handled it and how it worked out.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%