Alternatives To Wooden Dowels For Stacked Construction??

Decorating By laborrn2 Updated 31 May 2008 , 3:16am by leah_s

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 17

I hate using wooden dowels for stacked construction and have used the hollow plastic white ones frequently. I was watching "Ace of Cakes" last night and caught a brief sight of one of the guys snipping what looked like a straw that he was obviously using to support the next layer with. Has anyone used drinking straws instead of dowels? Will that work? Thanks for any suggestions! Y'all are the best! icon_smile.gif

Kristin

16 replies
Eileenscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eileenscakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 17

The instructor of my last decorating class uses straws all the time, I have not done a stacked cake yet but will be doing on for a birthday in a few weeks and was planning on using them. HTH icon_biggrin.gif

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:37pm
post #3 of 17

Just bought Sugarshack's Successful Stacking DVD. She uses those big fat bubble tea straws. I bought some on ebay, but have not tried them yet. Good luck!

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 17

those are not regular drinking straws but the fat bubble straws.

I have not tried them either yet

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 17

I hear the SPS system is awesome and the most secure for stacking.

sweetdesignsbyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdesignsbyla Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:17pm
post #6 of 17

I'm with you on HATING wooden dowels, and have had 1 too many ALMOST disaster cakes becuase of the wooden dowels moving out of place... I switched over to the white plastic ones and have not had any more problems, I do however feel badly sometimes becuase the white ones seem to use alot more space in my opinion, therefore giving the client less cake to eat... Let me know if you find something else... Goodluck icon_smile.gif

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #7 of 17

a friendly baker in my area suggested plain drinking straws as support. I've used them and they work!

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:35pm
post #8 of 17

won't plain drinking straws buckle under the weight of the cake????

sugaah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugaah Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:41pm
post #9 of 17

he assured me they would not and mine didn't. I used a lot though.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 17

Chef Lori told me she uses them also. I have to travel a long distance with most of my wedding cakes so I invested in the stress free stacking system. The only problem I find is I get this look from the venue when I tell them to make sure I get my separator plates back. One lady said "Arent they just plastic?" I said, No, their metal and their expensive! When you pay $175 for the starter set, its not something your just going to through into a cake and not get back. But other than that, it works great!

Lalana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lalana Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 17

I use Boba straws/bubble tea straws. They are really big and work great and I swear I saw them being used on Ace of Cakes also! I get them at a tea shop that sells boba drinks, or the local asian market but if you don't have either of those where you are, they are on the internet too.

Here's a link I found so you can tell what they look like.
http://www.buyboba.com/lajubost7lo1.html

And straws don't buckle because as you push them in they fill with compacted cake and become solid instead of hollow.

laborrn2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laborrn2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:00pm
post #12 of 17

thanks everyone for your comments and ideas. I will order some "Boba" straws for the next cake!

malishka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malishka Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:04pm
post #13 of 17

thanks so much Lalana for clearing that up. I have an asian food market next to where i live, so i'll be on the lookout.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 17

i use bubble tea straws; easy and sturdy!!

SugarMoonCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarMoonCakeCo Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:19am
post #15 of 17

yes - bubble tea straws here too!
700/pk for $24.95 (cdn) + shipping
is what I pay...

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:44am
post #16 of 17

i just made a stacked cake for my mother's BD. 9" on the botton with a 6" on top. i used regular drinking straws for support and they worked very well.......... icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #17 of 17

SPS really is an easy to use, secure and inexpensive system. It is soo very sturdy. You can stack and transport and much as your can lift.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%