Fondant Cut Outs?

Decorating By ericalove Updated 31 May 2008 , 6:25pm by SarahJane

ericalove Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 8

I am making 100 buttercream cupcakes and I wanted to decorate them with some fondant flower cut outs but I wanted to know if I HAVE to let them dry for a day before I put them on, or can I just decorate the cupcakes as Im cutting them or will this ruin the flowers or make the fondant soggy?
Im making these tomorrow for a Sunday morning bake sale.

and the fondant is Satin Ice

Or am I better off just using candy clay for the cut outs?

7 replies
bobwonderbuns Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:02pm
post #2 of 8

If you want them upright, then you must let them dry or they will wilt. If you want to place the cutout on the buttercream you won't need to let it dry.

ericalove Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:00pm
post #3 of 8

what if I wanted to cup them in the center,wil the fondant hold their shape if their not dried?

And how does the candy clay work out? is it just like working with fondant? or does it still melt easy or is it pretty stable for cut outs? if the bake sale is it not a good idea to use this method?

what do you like better for cut outs, candy clay or fondant?

sorry for all the questions but I am a newbie at all the decorating things and I would like to get all the help I can get.

Thanks again.

ericalove Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:49pm
post #4 of 8

anyone? icon_sad.gif please

Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:00pm
post #5 of 8

Fondant flowers that are a single layer that you have thinned with a ball tool will dry in an hour or two, so you could make them now and put them on in a couple of hours and they would be fine.

I don't know about candy clay, I haven't tried it.

SarahJane Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:18pm
post #6 of 8

I've never used candy clay either and flower drying time depends a lot on your humitity. If you need them to dry quickly, add tylose to your fondant- make them thinner and put them under a hot lamp.

ericalove Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 8

Thank you so much everyone,but may I ask what is tylose?and where would I get it?

SarahJane Posted 31 May 2008 , 6:25pm
post #8 of 8

Tylose is a white powder that you add to fondant to make it more like gumpaste. Those of us who live in places with High Humidity can't live without it. I wouldn't be able to make any of my figures w/o it, because fondant never dries here. You can order it from any online cake/baker site or you can look at your local chef supply store. It only costs a few dollars and it's worth it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%