Need Help And Advice On Freezing Cakes

Decorating By kdscalling Updated 31 May 2008 , 12:54am by kdscalling

kdscalling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdscalling Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #1 of 5

I am new to this site and fairly new to decorating. After searching and reading several posts on freezing, I am not sure what I did wrong but wrong it went. I have a chocolate cake recipe I where I use sour cream. I made a 12", and 8" and a 13x9 cake. Once they completely cooled, I wrapped each one in saran wrap, put them in food safe bags and placed them in the freezer. Two weeks later after defrosting them (still in the saran wrap), I found that all of them were dry and the 12" and 8" fell apart. Could it be the recipe? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
KDscalling

4 replies
pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

What recipe are you using? I use the WASC (White Almond Sour Cream) recipe and I wrap them in 4 layers of saran wrap and have kept them in the freezer up to 2 weeks with no problems. I would bet it is your recipe, if you let us know which one you used we could help more.

kdscalling Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:56pm
post #3 of 5

The recipe is one my daughter worked on. If not frozen, it is moist and does very well. Here it is.

3 sticks of butter at room temp
3/4 c. cocoa powder
3/4 c. hot water
3/4 c. sour cream
1/2 c. oil
3 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 1/4 c. sugar
4 eggs
1 Tablespoon vanilla

mix coca and hot water.
add sour cream to that and let cool
mix/sift dry ingredients and set to side
beat butter and sugar on medium 3-4 min
add eggs 1 at a time
add vanilla.

From looking at other recipes, this one may be a little shy on salt and baking soda. The flour is self-rising (at least that is what I use).
Any suggestions?

KDscalling

pjaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pjaycakes Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #4 of 5

I don't know if this is the reason, but if the recipe calls for cake flour and you are using self rising flour you need to sub 7/8 cup of self rising flour and 2 tab cornstarch for every 1 cup of cake flour. Maybe someone else can be more help.

kdscalling Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #5 of 5

I may have not stated it quite correctly. The flour I have is self-rising cake flour - WhiteLily.

KDscalling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%