Need Your Opinion

Business By Jenn2179 Updated 31 May 2008 , 3:46pm by MichelleM77

Jenn2179 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #1 of 13

I got a call from my FIL yesterday. A girl he works with has a sister who does wedding cakes. There was a death in the family and she needed to leave town to go to the funeral but had a wedding cake order for Saturday morning. Can I help her out and do the cake. Sure I didn't have any cakes for this weekend. She brought the picture and the check. Here's my problem. She is not telling the bride about the change. If I were the bride I would want to know. Plus as the cake baker and decorator I want to get credit for my cake. What if other people love the cake and ask where it's from and she tells them the original place when in fact I did the cake. Also I also leave a 4 in round cake for the bride and groom with a little thank you letter and my sticker on the box which I am planning on doing. How would you feel? What would you do?

12 replies
MichelleM77 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 13

I don't know what to tell you, but I would want to know about the change if I were a bride. Nothing can be done about it, family emergencies/funerals happen, but if my cake decorator called me and told me not to worry, that it's taken care of, I would be okay. If I found out later, I would be upset.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave any business info unless she told the bride. This is a tough one though.

AJsGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #3 of 13

If you have the bride's contact info, I say contact her. I wouldn't say anything that makes the other decorator look bad, I would just say the other decorator had a family emergency and secured you to make her cake so that she would be taken care of on her big day. Nice and calm, and convey that you have it under control and she is not to worry. Then handle it like you would your own clients.

If you don't have her contact info, maybe mention something when you deliver the cake, or to a family member, but I would still do your normal thing, leave business cards, whatever.

HTH

MichelleM77 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:55pm
post #4 of 13

See on one hand you would be promoting your business, but on the other hand you don't want to cause problems for this other decorator who made a quick decision in the middle of grief. You could be burning a future friendship/business relationship/reference bridge before it's even built. I do like the idea of contacting the bride, if you have that info, but I might want to contact the original decorator to let her know you are doing this, just so she isn't out of the loop like the bride is at this point. Man, you have a tough one here!

gottabakenow Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:55pm
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleM77

I don't know what to tell you, but I would want to know about the change if I were a bride. Nothing can be done about it, family emergencies/funerals happen, but if my cake decorator called me and told me not to worry, that it's taken care of, I would be okay. If I found out later, I would be upset.

If I were you, I wouldn't leave any business info unless she told the bride. This is a tough one though.

ditto! my thoughts exactly. icon_wink.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 13

Well I called her because I had another question. I asked her to please tell the bride what was going on.

drowsyrn Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:39pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn2179

. I also leave a 4 in round cake for the bride and groom with a little thank you letter and my sticker on the box which I am planning on doing. How would you feel? What would you do?

First of all, I love that idea!
If she doesn't find out before the wedding, mention in your thank you note that you were happy to help in such short notice and congratulations and all that other good stuff. icon_smile.gif

CarolAnn Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:13pm
post #8 of 13

And what are you supposed to do when you deliver this wedding cake, act like you're just delivering it for this other gal? Uh uh, she needs to tell the bride what's happened. Should have done so right away. Helping her out is great but the bride needs to know who is making her cake AND you need to get credit for it not to mention any future business it brings. If it were me I'd contact the original cake lady and ask her to call the bride, which you already did, then I would contact the bride myself to make my own connection with her about her cake. Even if it's only to introduce myself. I couldn't just show up on the wedding day with the cake and say "by the way, I made this instead of her". And no way I'd let anyone think it was the other gals work. I'm not being insensitive but grief or not the cake lady ought to be taking care of this bride. What are you supposed to do with the check made out to someone else?

Jenn2179 Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 13

She talked to the bride and explained the situtation and the bride was very understanding. The cake has been finished since yesterday and I am going to leave to deliver it in like 15 minutes. The other cake person wrote me a check for the cake since it had already been paid for. She gave it to me when she gave me the picture of the cake. I too wanted credit for my cake cause I am damn proud of my work and the taste of my cakes. I think this one turned out wonderfully so I damn well am taking the credit.

CarolAnn Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:46pm
post #10 of 13

I read back to your original post about the check. So all is taken care of. That's great! It feels great to be able to help out plus it might bring you a little business. I hope it does. Good for you!!

MichelleM77 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:34pm
post #11 of 13

Yah!! Glad the situation turned out okay. I was imagining all heck breaking lose. icon_smile.gif

Jenn2179 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:39pm
post #12 of 13

I just posted a picture of the cake. How'd it turn out?

MichelleM77 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:46pm
post #13 of 13

Beautiful!! I LOVE the daisies on the bottom tier! I'm a big fan of the tone-on-tone look. How do you get your BC so smooth?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%