Two Questions, Please Help!

Decorating By SweetOccasionCakes Updated 31 May 2008 , 4:51pm by SweetOccasionCakes

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #1 of 16

My client, who also happens to be my realtor wants a cake for her daughters graduation. She wants a strawberry cake with lime green icing. No design, no writing. This is going to be a 1/4 sheet cake, double layer. What am I going to do?!?!? No one has ever asked for somethign so plain before and I don't want it to look like it's missing something, ya know? I was thinking maybe I could do the icing in a textured type look instead of smooth, wdyt? How would you do it?

My next question is about a Pokemon cake I'm going to do. This little boy wants a Poke Ball on top of a 1/4 sheet cake. Fine, I can do that, but he also wants 'thunder boom' off of pikachu (sp?) what is that?!?! His mom's not really sure either! I have no idea about pokemon, can anyone helP? I'm going to use the sports ball pan for the poke ball and sit it on top of a double layer 1/4 sheet cake with Pokemon figures sitting on top. Any help is appreciated!

Amanda

15 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 16

plain cake. maybe she has something she is going to place on top of the cake once youdeliver it. I would talk to her and make sure that she doesnt have plans

pokeman google it, thats what i would do!

weirkd Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:50pm
post #3 of 16

For the sheet cake they make combs that make little lines in the frosting that would be subtle enough and not just a "plain" cake.
Pikachu is a little yellow guy with pointy ears. My son who was big into Pokeman said that he had no idea what Thunderboom was unless it was a Pikachu doing a move?

amy2197 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 16

If googling doesn't work head over to the video store. I think texturing the iciing would be pretty.

2sdae Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:51pm
post #5 of 16

you could talk to her first to be sure a pattern is ok with her, here is a simple practice cake I did using impression sheets and simple border, you could do something similar, not x-mas themed of course but you get the idea.
http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1165619

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #6 of 16

For the pokeball I'd use the Wilton sortsball pan. For the "thunder boom", I think he wants it to look like little thunderbolts coming from Pikachu after he uses his 'attack'.

I just double checked with DS and he thinks I'm right (I should mark this day on my calendar!!!). He said Pikachu doesn't have a Thunder Boom attack, but he does have a Thunder Shock attack. Unless he wants sound waves coming from Pikachu, but he's never seen that on the show or on any of his games.

After using it he still has some electrical charges around his body if memory serves (used to watch the show with my kids about eight years ago). You can probably google for a picture of what it looks like.

Starkie Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:54pm
post #7 of 16

Could the thunder boom be a lightening bolt?

AJsGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:23pm
post #8 of 16

I did a Pokeball with the sports ball pan, see my pics.

My son is a Pokemon addict, and I've never heard of Thunderboom. I've heard of Thundershock, and Thunderbolt, but not boom. Shock and Bolt and Pikachu fighting moves.

ladyellam Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 16

Sorry I can't help you with the Pokemon thing, my son is into Buzz Lightyear.

For the 1/4 sheet cake what about a beautiful reverse shell border? That way at there's something to it.

hth,
kathy

cofeewoman Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:40pm
post #10 of 16

I would also check at any Hobby store for a Thunderboom/Thundershock. I believe it is the black lightening bolt the other's have mentioned. I bet you could get something there or online to trace from. Good luck.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:15pm
post #11 of 16

Regarding Pikachu's Thundershock attack, here's what I've found:
LL

just_desserts Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 16

I have Wilton's Pokemon pan & it has yellow "spikes" behind him as in the animated previous post. Maybe you could do a RI or color flow design & attach it with wires or on a stick???

Karabear1125 Posted 31 May 2008 , 3:42am
post #13 of 16

I did a pikachu sheet cake for my nephew's birthday last year , it's in my photos if you want to have a look to get an idea

Mike1394 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:45am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

For the pokeball I'd use the Wilton sortsball pan. For the "thunder boom", I think he wants it to look like little thunderbolts coming from Pikachu after he uses his 'attack'.

I just double checked with DS and he thinks I'm right (I should mark this day on my calendar!!!). He said Pikachu doesn't have a Thunder Boom attack, but he does have a Thunder Shock attack. Unless he wants sound waves coming from Pikachu, but he's never seen that on the show or on any of his games.

After using it he still has some electrical charges around his body if memory serves (used to watch the show with my kids about eight years ago). You can probably google for a picture of what it looks like.

Eight years ago??? This recount of Pikachu events sound pretty recent. LOLOLOL

Mike

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:53pm
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

Eight years ago??? This recount of Pikachu events sound pretty recent. LOLOLOL

Mike

Well.......ya know.

Seriously, my son has 'rediscovered' his inner Pokemon. We used to watch it together when he was about 3 or 4 or so. Now he's 11. After going through phases of Yu-gi-oh and Naruto, he has 'come back' to Pokemon and wathces the movies, catches a tv episode once in a blue moon, but plays with the collector cards and video games regularly - esp., the video games. So I hear about it quite often. Unfortunately they've added so many new monsters (Pokemon) that I'm not up on the ones from the last five or six years, so now it almost seems like my son and daughter are talking a foreign language when discussing the games that they've linked together on with their D.S. Lites! lol

I'm still a Pikachu, JiggelyPuff fan. (My DH nicknamed me Jiggely Puff about 8 years ago due to the habit I HAD? of drawing on the bottoms of his toes after he fell asleep on the couch. (I had to get even with him for falling asleep while we were talking or watching TV/movie, supposedly, together.))

SweetOccasionCakes Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:51pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks ladies for all of your help! I had planned on using the sports ball pan for the ball and just leveling the bottom to stand on the sheet cake. I like the idea of a RI 'thundershock' to stand up behind the toy pikachu. As for the graduation cake, I will definately use a pretty border and maybe either texture or embossing on the rest of it.

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%