How Do I Put Stars On Wires?

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm by cakecastle

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 9

And do I use pure gumpaste or a gumpaste/fondant mix? And how far in advance should they be made?

When placing wires in cake, I should place them in coffee stirrers?
Thanks!

8 replies
Heather13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather13 Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:12pm
post #2 of 9

When I make stars, I usually stamp them out of gumpaste or a 50/50 mix (I've done both) that is rolled out thick enough to hide the wire. Then, I dip the tip of the wire into gumglue (gumpaste dissolved in water) and stick it into the bottom of the star. If the gumpaste was rolled thick enough, you can slide the wire into the star and it won't show. I let it dry on wax paper for about a day.
When you stick the wire into the cake you can use coffee stirrers, straws or flower picks.

disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you so much for your help!

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:30pm
post #4 of 9

heather13

thanks for the tip! i always wondered how the decorations were stuck into the cake without the wires touching the cake.

meldancer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meldancer Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 9

What gauge wire do you use so that it doesn't collapse?

bobbied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobbied Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 9

Another idea for attaching stars is on the Wilton website in their recipe box... a graduation cake called Future Movers and Shakers. They have stars attached on the bottom using candy melts. It gives a different look with the star attached flat on the end of the wire. They mount the stars in bunches inside plastic cake dowels with a little fondant stuffed inside them to add support.

www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/graduation/futuremoversandshakers.cfm
Have fun!

becklynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
becklynn Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 9

Can anyone tell me what size wire you need to do the stars on? Is this floral wire that you can get at a craft store or something sturdier that I'd have to get from the hardware store?
Thanks!!!

disneynutbsv Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:57am
post #8 of 9

I'd also like to know of a suggestion for which gauge to get for the wire.

cakecastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecastle Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 7:14pm
post #9 of 9

Glad to see how to do this, as I will be doing this on 2 cakes that I have coming up for my dd's birthdays. Now I just hope I bought the right gauge of wire. I bought 20 gauge because it "looked" right. The others they had either looked way to thick/heavy, so I was afraid they would damage the cake or way too thin, so I was afraid it wouldn't hold up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%