Michigan Residents Getting Legal

Business By Mike1394 Updated 31 May 2008 , 9:30am by Mike1394

Mike1394 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:27pm
post #1 of 11

Some of you seen my posts about this. It seems like a never ending merry-go-round the last few months of trying to find what direction I need to go in. PHEW, here are the steps I would suggest. I'm at the Dept. of AG step. The very first step is checking with your city to see if it's possible in your city. Dept. of AG will send you back to your city. The Health Dept. sends you to the Dept. of AG. LOLOL. Here is a link to the AG website. http://www.michigan.gov/mda/0,1607,7-125-1568_45851-59764--,00.html

That will lay out what needs to be done. I have a meeting for the 6/11 to go over plans, and such. PHEW it's at least moving forward. I hope this will help eliminate some of the head aches I had for others willing to try.

Mike

10 replies
puzzlegut Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:52pm
post #2 of 11

Thanks for sharing. I do agree that there really isn't any clear information on what needs to be done or the procedures that have to be followed. I get the feeling that Michigan doesn't want home bakers. The laws are not very favorable in doing so. You would think with how the economy is in Michigan that they would try to make the laws more favorable for starting home businesses, especially food businesses.

Mike1394 Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:40pm
post #3 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by puzzlegut

Thanks for sharing. I do agree that there really isn't any clear information on what needs to be done or the procedures that have to be followed. I get the feeling that Michigan doesn't want home bakers. The laws are not very favorable in doing so. You would think with how the economy is in Michigan that they would try to make the laws more favorable for starting home businesses, especially food businesses.

It's not easy. Frankly it's a pain in the butt. The biggest hold up for someone is the separate entrance. If I didn't have all of this in place I wouldn't do it. The expense would be to great.

Mike

Tramski Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:51pm
post #4 of 11

I always thought MI doesn't let you have home bakeries at all. Now I have to look into it more for our next house to see what options I might have.

Crazy-4-Cakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #5 of 11

Been trying to get legal myself also. Unfortunately, I don't own my home we rent. Looking for place to rent kitchen space.

I agree it is real tough and expensive in MI to be legal. You'd think given our economy here our govt would make things easier.

I suggest to go to your local small biz/econ development office for help and advice too.

Good luck and keep us posted!
BTW where in MI are you?

maisyone2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 11

I have to agree that the State of Michigan doesn't make it easy to start up a home based food business. I've looked into it and it's just a big hassle all the way around. Unfortunately, like many of us.....we fly under the radar. However, fortunately for myself I fell into a situation with a retail/wholesale bakery owner. I am able to use his facility and in the eyes of the State of Michigan I am legal.

If we ever decide to move, I too will look for a house with all the basic criteria for a home bakery.

What part of Michigan are you all from?

Mike1394 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:24pm
post #7 of 11

I'm from Roseville.

Mike

sweetiemama Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #8 of 11

Thanks Mike for giving us more info on MI. Definitely not an easy thing to find out! So, is it the Dept. of Ag. that requires a completely seperate entrance for a home kitchen? Or is that a local ordinance for you?

Some days I wish I lived in Ohio! icon_sad.gif

Justaph Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:31am
post #9 of 11

Hope everything works out smoothe for you Mike. Keep you spirits high bro.

Justaph

Mike1394 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:29am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetiemama

Thanks Mike for giving us more info on MI. Definitely not an easy thing to find out! So, is it the Dept. of Ag. that requires a completely seperate entrance for a home kitchen? Or is that a local ordinance for you?

Some days I wish I lived in Ohio! icon_sad.gif

Never ever wish you live in OH. They have those "people" from OSU there LOLOL

Yes, it's the Dept. of AG. Actually it's the 2005 food code. On page 18 & 59 I believe. The food code states a home kitchen has to be separate from other entities in the house. Mi. decided to adopt the complete food code. Some states as you know have adopted only parts of it, or have thier adaptation of it.

Mike

Mike1394 Posted 31 May 2008 , 9:30am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justaph

Hope everything works out smoothe for you Mike. Keep you spirits high bro.

Justaph

Thank You

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%