I'm So Intimidated By Fondant But Want To Try

Decorating By nicole379 Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:39pm by Texas_Rose

nicole379 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 3

I've read a lot on here about MMF but decided I would start practicing with the wilton ready to use fondant for now. I bought a small box yesterday and I plan on playing with it so I can get use to the texture and "feel" of it. The only thing is, I'm intimidated by it. I have no idea what to do with it! When I finally get up the confidence to take it out of the box, what should I do with it?

I was thinking I should go buy a roller and mat and maybe some shape cutters and start by practicing that. Is this a good idea or is there a "fondant for beginners" tutorial I'm missing?

2 replies
diane Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:33pm
post #2 of 3

there are tons of things.
i would recommend using cutouts...their easy and give you clean edges. icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 3

That's a good idea. You can roll it out on a regular cutting board too, or if you happen to have the wilton cake dividing wheel it's great for rolling fondant on. You can roll it out with your regular rolling pin too. Just use some cornstarch or powdered sugar so the fondant doesn't stick. Eventually you'll want a different pin but it's not impossible to roll out with a wooden one, if that's what you have.

One thing that's good to practice is rolling a large enough piece to cover a cake, and being sure you can pick it up from the rolling surface. Anyone can roll it out and cut shapes, but it's the bigger pieces that are tricky. You can actually roll it out and practice covering the outside of a cake pan, then take it off and do other stuff with it, too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%