Graduation Cakes!

Decorating By disneynutbsv Updated 30 May 2008 , 4:33pm by disneynutbsv

disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #1 of 8

Last night my 17 year old son told me that he "volunteered" me to make the graduation cakes (which is June 6). I told him he can't volunteer me to do that, so then he gave me the old pouty look and said well, I guess I'll have to try to do it myself.
Aaaargh. I gave in. I told him that his class (Junior class: they usually put on a reception after graduation) will need to pay for all materials. I then asked how many servings he needs and he's like, "I don't know. Enough to feed a gymnasium."

So....I have never done a sheetcake this large, I just bought a 12x18 pan.

So, please tell me:

I bought the boards from Wilton that will hold the cake (the one that you don't cover in foil the fancy look kind). Are those stable enough to hold up the cake?
Plus any other advice I would appreciate. I am going to try to make a graduation cap to put on it.

7 replies
jenbenjr Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:50am
post #2 of 8

If it is just the fancy board with the scalloped edge, then no....it is not strong enough. If it is the fancy cake drum...then yes. I always cut foamboard for anything 12x18 and bigger.

disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:52am
post #3 of 8

Ok, its the scalloped edge board, I'll need to find something to put it on. I don't have time to go to a cake decorating storeicon_sad.gif

jenbenjr Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:54am
post #4 of 8

If you have more than one.......you can glue them together to make them stronger. My husband has also cut me some wooden boards that are awesome. I only use them though when I know I can get them back.

disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:57am
post #5 of 8

Ok, that's what I'll have to do is glue them together. Thanks for the help!

Molly2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:06pm
post #6 of 8

I make those size sheet cakes all the time (look in Photos) I put them on a fancy board but I usally will make it a 2 layer sheet cake it feeds about 70 people may be more if cut right but anyway I always put it on top of ply wood ( it is a 18x24 pices of wood cut at lowes) because I travel with it after decorating and it keeps it stable I have not had any problems

Molly

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:28pm
post #7 of 8

I think i would make two of those cakes, maybe one chocolate and one vanilla. You are feeding "gymnasium" right? call the school, see how many kids are graduating and if you are feeding staff as well. At my sons school there are about 200 kids and 70 staff members, that a LOT of cake! I would also talk to whoever is in charge and find out about payment and stuff. They may think you are doing it for free!! I would not rely on your son to handle the details. better safe than sorry, or out money and time!

disneynutbsv Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 8

Well there are 35 kids in the class, plus the parents & faculty. My son is trying to find out. His advisor said at least enough for 50 people...I honestly thing it would be more than that!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%