A Chocolate Coating With Shine???

Decorating By mandytagg Updated 30 May 2008 , 6:24pm by mandytagg

mandytagg Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #1 of 4

I have a wedding next weekend and was planning on making the Grooms cake a surfboard (he shapes them as a hobby). Thought it would be cute because his last name is always an element on his boards.

Anyhow, just wondering if there is such a thing as chocolate MMF? If not, would I coat it with ganache or what? I would love it to have a sheen/shiny appearance as a waxed board does.

Any ideas, suggestions, psychiatric advice??? Please?

3 replies
Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:24am
post #2 of 4

You can make chocolate MMF. Just replace some of the powdered sugar with cocoa powder (Hershey's Special Dark will make a really chocolaty fondant that's almost black). I usually use half a cup of cocoa powder.

I've achieved a sheen on fondant by coating it with crisco once it's on the cake. I've also painted fondant with a mix of corn syrup and vodka to get a nice shine (it's the cutout cookies in my photos). That will give a shinier shine icon_biggrin.gif than the crisco.

I've heard of some people using confectioner's glaze on their fondant for a really nice shine, but I haven't tried it personally, because I read that confectioners glaze was made from secretions from beetles. (I know honey comes from an insect, but somehow that seems different).

JenJen1 Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:36am
post #3 of 4

Satin Ice and another company (can't think of the name..) make chocolate MMF. It's actually very tasty too....( Like Tootsie roll). Hope this helps

mandytagg Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:24pm
post #4 of 4

thanks ladies!! don't think i have time to order satin ice, etc.; i don't think anyone around here sells it either.

does vodka and corn syrup make the fondant taste yucky? icon_eek.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%