Need Help With Airbrush Please

Decorating By AZCakeGirl Updated 30 May 2008 , 3:25pm by AZCakeGirl

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:02am
post #1 of 4

I just bought a kopycake Airmaster airbrush. I used it twice this week & it has worked fine. After I used it both times, I cleaned out the paint cup with the cleaner & a Q-tip (even sprayed some cleaner through it) & put it away. I pulled it out again last night & now it's not working. Every time I try to paint, the air comes out of the paint cup instead of the needle tip (hence, my color is bubbling all over the place like a little witch's cauldron!). I thought maybe I didn't clean it out well enough the last time I used it so I took the entire thing apart piece by piece. Once I got inside, there was some of the previous color on the inside, so I rinsed it away. However, I put it all back together & the air is still coming out of the paint cup & making everything bubble instead of working the way it should. Since I never changed anything since I last used it, I'm figuring that it is a clog, but how do I fix it other than running the cleaner through it? (I don't know if I'm supposed to or not, but I've already tried running some hot water through it too)

The directions it came with do not have any trouble-shooting suggestions & I called the company yesterday but just got a voicemail. Is there anybody out there that is an experienced airbrusher that could help me out? Am I not cleaning it properly? Could it be something other than a clog??? I really want to use my new toy! icon_sad.gif

3 replies
sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #2 of 4

i would have suggested removing the needle and wiping it off,sometimes colour drys on it. but youve already taken it apart to clean. does sound like a clog. you could remove the needle and push a pipe cleaner (chenile stem) down through the top of the cup towards the tip, perhaps that will remove what ever is in there. i had that happen after i had to replace the nozzle after i broke the original trying to screw it back in, (teeny tiny thing, very delicate)

it is ok to spray the cleaner through it, although i only use hot water, sometimes a very mild soapy solution, i have also heard that windex is good to clean out the airbrush. i hope you can get the problem solved.

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 4

Denture tablets dissolved in some warm water makes a GREAT airbrush cleaner...run it thru the airbrush... take the airbrush apart and soak individual pieces in it for a short time. I think this was learned in a class with Francis Kyper years ago.....have used it occasionally since then. I also run warm water from the tap thru the airbrush when I change colors. I fill it with warm water....hold my finger over the front nozzle and let it bubble up. My original airbrush is probably close to 28 years old now and the only thing I have ever had to do was get a new needle!

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much, I will try these hints. I'm very glad to hear about the other alternatives to the cleaning solution too because to be honest, every time I've cleaned it, that solution gets in the air & I cough & cough (that can't be healthy for you!). Somebody else mentioned that the pearl can make it clog - that's what I used last so I am guessing that is probably the problem. Thanks again!!! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%