Have You Ever Pieced A Cake Back Together?

Decorating By MeMo07 Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm by alicegop

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #1 of 14

I've made a sheet cake for a store opening tomorrow, but (for my husbands new job!) the bottom layer (the only part I've made so far) has split into three pieces whenever I flipped it out. I don't think I let it cool for long enough before I tried to get it out (I've gotta admit, I was hurrying to watch Lost. LOL)

It's one large middle piece and then two corner pieces that fell off......I don't have enough cake mix to remake it, and the only way I could remake it with enough time would still leave me rushed and leaving work early....I really should've made this cake earlier...but you live and learn......Have you ever successfully re pieced a cake?

13 replies
akgirl10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
akgirl10 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:18am
post #2 of 14

Yes I have, especially if it's just a layer cake with no carving needed. You can put a little buttercream on the broken parts and mush it together. What kind of cake are you making?

handymama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
handymama Posted 30 May 2008 , 8:53am
post #3 of 14

Sounds like there may have been a dome on the cake when you flipped it, the pan/rack you used to flip it was too small, or you flipped too slowly. Anyway, if you'll make "cake spackle" (aka Toba Garrett technique) by mixing some of the crumbs from your trimmings with BC you'll have a stronger mend than with BC alone --also less noticeable.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:50pm
post #4 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by akgirl10

Yes I have, especially if it's just a layer cake with no carving needed. You can put a little buttercream on the broken parts and mush it together. What kind of cake are you making?

I've done this more times than I can count.

The one that impressed even me was in the baking of a multi-tiered cake. The bottom 10" round, gave me problems. I did two 2" pans, but one of them completely crumbled. I did not have enough ingredients to make a new batch of batter, so I made a half-batch and baked it. Of course that layer was thinner than the others.

I then had this brilliant idea. Of the shattered cake, only 1/2 of it was gone. So I cut that half off. I took the thinner layer, leveled it, torted it, then cut in half. Flipped the halves together to make the other half-circle of cake. Put the two half-circles together, then leveled. I made that the top layer of that tier, and made sure it was VERY well doweled, so that the weight of the other tiers wasn't resting solely on the cake. No one ever noticed icon_smile.gif.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:07am
post #5 of 14

Handymama is right - Toba's spackling paste is the answer to a multitude of cake sins!!!!! Pat

MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:08am
post #6 of 14

Thanks for the help guys! icon_smile.gif

It's a yellow cake.....chocolate buttercream icing.

I got it put back together, with lots of willing it to work and buttercream. icon_smile.gif

Now if there was only a quick fix for the shaky handwriting....:S

I only had 5 minutes to put the FBCT on, and write the letters out (they called DH in because they wanted to kick the party off early!) so the writing looked terrible....(nerves plus the fact that I hadn't eaten lunch yet! LOL)thumbsdown.gif

So, here it is, my first cake to ever be seen in a public setting...

(For some reason I can't load it up to CC, so heres it is)

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:59am
post #7 of 14

Congratulations on getting it together; it looks cool thumbs_up.gif
I bet it felt like a mini end of the world when it was broken. I had a cake (wasn't even a big one) and the pan just slipped out of my hand as I pulled it out of the oven. I was like I was watching it in slo-mo but couldn't stop it. Luckily, it fell on the oven door, staying in the pan. But when I flipped it out, it was in three equal chunks! icon_cry.gif I transformed into a potty-mouthed sailor for a minute icon_redface.gif But then I got it together w/ the Toba method hehehe

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:17am
post #8 of 14

Potty-mouthed sailor! I like that. It's amazing how much cursing a sweet little cake can evoke, isn't it?!

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:29am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Potty-mouthed sailor! I like that. It's amazing how much cursing a sweet little cake can evoke, isn't it?!

icon_redface.gif Hehehe If only people knew icon_rolleyes.gif There's been strands o' pearls spewed in my kitchen icon_wink.gif

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:35am
post #10 of 14

The cake looks great.

For the lack of time to eat, I always keep some chocolate around. A few bites of chocolate always help with the shaking and it helps to reduce a bit of the stress.

I also find that holding your arm with your other hand, helps to steady the writing... and that's only when I remember to do it.

Good Luck.

twooten173 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twooten173 Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:42am
post #11 of 14

Man I will piece a cake back together in a heart beat as long as it won't show or jeapodize the structure or strength icon_smile.gif

Memo - nice save!

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:55am
post #12 of 14

I had a topsy turvy cake that I swear God held together - b/c there is no other explanation for how I pieced it back together. At 2 AM, the middle tier of the thing had a huge hunk just fall off! I almost started crying... but I put some buttercream on, jammed the broken piece back on, and stuck it in the fridge to "solidify".... many many many things went wrong with that topsy turvy.... needless to say, I haven't done one since.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 3:45pm
post #13 of 14

i just did this recently. i swear to god i don't need the stress that goes with it. thank goodness it came through in the end.

your cake looks great. icon_biggrin.gif

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 4:13pm
post #14 of 14

Oh my goodness yes!!!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-296533-melting.html

Take a look at my disaster! Turned out to be one of my most popular cakes despite everything that went wrong!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%