Quick Help For Royal Icing!!

Decorating By jlsheik Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:44pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

jlsheik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlsheik Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:02am
post #1 of 6

I have to have double hearts with string work in the middle to match a cake that was made 50 years ago...it looked fairly simple. My problem is...I made the Wilton RI and I'm using a #1 wilton tip, the icing seems to be thick... it is killing my wrist and I'm not sure how far I can thin it down and have it still set up. The cake is due Saturday night. So any help I can get would be appreciated. I live in OK so it is humid here also helping me today!!

5 replies
gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:17am
post #2 of 6

You might want to try thining it out just a portion. I would just use a portion so if it's looks too thin you can mix it up with the remainder of you icing and get the right consistency.

Good Luck.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:47am
post #3 of 6

How are you thinning it? Using what? I've read that you should add a bit of corn syrup to help thing yet strengthen it. Also, I've heard/read where two different people said that RI should be strained through unused, clean nylon before being added to the decorating bag. I haven't tried any of these suggestions myself, but hopefully you will find them useful.

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:43am
post #4 of 6

I think I remember reading a post a while back that some people help their royal dry and set up more quickly by putting it in a warmed oven that has been truned off.

Does anyone do that or remember the way that works?

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:34pm
post #5 of 6

If you put your RI in a "warm" oven (it should be the lowest setting on your oven) and leave the door open while your items are in there, it should help them dry faster. I'm not sure how long; it runs in my mind that it should be 45min-hr but I don't know.

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:44pm
post #6 of 6

What if you do what some do to help gumpaste dry quicker and put it in an oven with the light on only?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%