Foamcore Board

Decorating By sugarinspired Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 11:14am by briannastreats

sugarinspired  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 17

i just finished watching sugarshack successful stacking and for the foamcore Sharon said we had to cover the foamcore with sticky plastic food safe wrap. where can i get that at.

16 replies
 Doug  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 17

glad press and seal would probably qualify -- any supermarket

BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 17

I don't cover my foamcore. I wipe it clean before putting some buttercream on it and then the cake. I wouldn't want to cut the cake and have bits of plastic come up with it. I find that the paper finish on the foamcore holds up very well when the cake is cut.

HTH
Rae

tdybear1978  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 17

wow, I never even thought about covering it with something, I just wipe it down and put my cake on it

ladyonzlake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 17

Yep, me too or I cover it fancy foil, RI or fondant. I use foam core 1/2" thick for all of my bases and just cake boards for stacking.

BlakesCakes  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:00am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

wow, I never even thought about covering it with something, I just wipe it down and put my cake on it

You, me, and Colette Peters...............that's where I learned about foamcore cakeboards.

Rae

iamlis  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamlis Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #7 of 17

Yeah, ditto to that, if Collette Peters teaches then I feel safe doing it icon_smile.gif

sugarinspired  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarinspired Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:55am
post #8 of 17

where can i get foamcore at? By the way thanks for your responds.

AZCakeGirl  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:09am
post #9 of 17

I've got mine before at Michael's Crafts. I wasn't sure where to find it at first so I just asked & it was on an end aisle with the posterboard (only it is thicker).

karensue  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 17

I just put a piece of parchment paper between the cake and the board -- slightly smaller than the cake so that it doesn't interfere with my icing.

saap1204  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 17

I am very new to cake decorating, so please bear with my question. Wouldn't you put the bottom tier of a stacked cake on a cake board first and then put it on a foamcore board for support? The cake board is food safe so wouldn't that elimate the need for plastic wrap on the foamcore board?

ladyonzlake  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 17

Yep, that's what I do. All of my tiers are on a cake board even the bottom one.

saap1204  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saap1204 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you for clarifying. On Friday, I attended a concert, worked Saturday and helped my sister move all weekend. This is the first time I have been on the computer since Friday afternoon. I have read a lot of interesting things on these forums and, hopefully, will be trying them soon. I, possibly, will be trying a cupcake cake for a pool party on Wednesday. Thanks again for your response about the cake board.

Yomomma  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 17

I too thought I would skip that step when I recently made a cake using ss methods but I ended up opting to cover (w/ press & seal) because tiny bits of the foam core where rubbing off as I handled it. I was afraid some would end up in the icing and then someone's mouth.

briannastreats  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #15 of 17

I am so glad I just found this post! I am using foamcore as my base for the first time this week. I plan on covering it with fondant before putting the cake on it, however, I was wondering if it will work to just lay the fondant on the board, or do I have to put something on it first to make it stick?

TIA!

wgoat5  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #16 of 17

you can lightly mist it with water and let it sit.. or I paint a little piping gel on the board icon_smile.gif works nicely for me

briannastreats  Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:14am
post #17 of 17

thank you christi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%