Foamcore Board

Decorating By sugarinspired Updated 7 Jun 2008 , 11:14am by briannastreats

sugarinspired Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:51am
post #1 of 17

i just finished watching sugarshack successful stacking and for the foamcore Sharon said we had to cover the foamcore with sticky plastic food safe wrap. where can i get that at.

16 replies
Doug Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:04am
post #2 of 17

glad press and seal would probably qualify -- any supermarket

BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 17

I don't cover my foamcore. I wipe it clean before putting some buttercream on it and then the cake. I wouldn't want to cut the cake and have bits of plastic come up with it. I find that the paper finish on the foamcore holds up very well when the cake is cut.

HTH
Rae

tdybear1978 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:56am
post #4 of 17

wow, I never even thought about covering it with something, I just wipe it down and put my cake on it

ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:59am
post #5 of 17

Yep, me too or I cover it fancy foil, RI or fondant. I use foam core 1/2" thick for all of my bases and just cake boards for stacking.

BlakesCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:00am
post #6 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdybear1978

wow, I never even thought about covering it with something, I just wipe it down and put my cake on it

You, me, and Colette Peters...............that's where I learned about foamcore cakeboards.

Rae

iamlis Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:05am
post #7 of 17

Yeah, ditto to that, if Collette Peters teaches then I feel safe doing it icon_smile.gif

sugarinspired Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:55am
post #8 of 17

where can i get foamcore at? By the way thanks for your responds.

AZCakeGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:09am
post #9 of 17

I've got mine before at Michael's Crafts. I wasn't sure where to find it at first so I just asked & it was on an end aisle with the posterboard (only it is thicker).

karensue Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:32pm
post #10 of 17

I just put a piece of parchment paper between the cake and the board -- slightly smaller than the cake so that it doesn't interfere with my icing.

saap1204 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:31pm
post #11 of 17

I am very new to cake decorating, so please bear with my question. Wouldn't you put the bottom tier of a stacked cake on a cake board first and then put it on a foamcore board for support? The cake board is food safe so wouldn't that elimate the need for plastic wrap on the foamcore board?

ladyonzlake Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:36pm
post #12 of 17

Yep, that's what I do. All of my tiers are on a cake board even the bottom one.

saap1204 Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 11:48pm
post #13 of 17

Thank you for clarifying. On Friday, I attended a concert, worked Saturday and helped my sister move all weekend. This is the first time I have been on the computer since Friday afternoon. I have read a lot of interesting things on these forums and, hopefully, will be trying them soon. I, possibly, will be trying a cupcake cake for a pool party on Wednesday. Thanks again for your response about the cake board.

Yomomma Posted 4 Jun 2008 , 9:51pm
post #14 of 17

I too thought I would skip that step when I recently made a cake using ss methods but I ended up opting to cover (w/ press & seal) because tiny bits of the foam core where rubbing off as I handled it. I was afraid some would end up in the icing and then someone's mouth.

briannastreats Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 2:29am
post #15 of 17

I am so glad I just found this post! I am using foamcore as my base for the first time this week. I plan on covering it with fondant before putting the cake on it, however, I was wondering if it will work to just lay the fondant on the board, or do I have to put something on it first to make it stick?

TIA!

wgoat5 Posted 5 Jun 2008 , 11:05pm
post #16 of 17

you can lightly mist it with water and let it sit.. or I paint a little piping gel on the board icon_smile.gif works nicely for me

briannastreats Posted 7 Jun 2008 , 11:14am
post #17 of 17

thank you christi!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%