Kit-Kat Cake Question

Decorating By lakaty Updated 31 May 2008 , 5:20am by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

lakaty Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:40am
post #1 of 15

I've had a request to make a 4-tiered Kit-Kat cake for a wedding that would serve 200 guests. The bride would love to have the cake stacked but does have access to a cake stand that we could use.

Being a total newbie to stacked cakes I don't even really know if this kind of cake could be stacked?????? I think I'm more comfortable using the cake stand.

Has anyone ever done a stacked Kit-Kat cake or have any idea if it could be stacked??? Please help icon_cry.gif

Now, I'm off to look at the serving guides to see what sizes I should use.

TIA icon_smile.gif

14 replies
lakaty Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:54pm
post #2 of 15

Oh please! Someone!!!! Anyone??????

mindywith3boys Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #3 of 15

Well, I'm not sure what a kit-kat cake is, but if you have the right support, I think you could stack anything. If you had something like the SPS which locks into itself and would not use the "cake" itself for any kind of support.

HTH! Sorry, maybe someone who knows what a kit-kat cake is can be of more help.

LetThereBeCake07 Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:45pm
post #4 of 15

what is a kit kat cake? just a flavor, a way of layering, a filling?????

johnson6ofus Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:02pm
post #5 of 15

I was thinking candy tooo----lol. Sweet tooth? You bet!

The 4 bars KitKat bar by Hershey's? That seems like 4 "log cakes" with the chocolate fondant icing.

Filling? Interesting--- can't wait to see if anyone has tried it...

johnson6ofus Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:06pm
post #6 of 15

Recipezaar says it is an ice cream & chocolate chip cookie cake.... FROZEN!

* 1 (18 ounce) package refrigerated chocolate chip cookie dough, prepared recipe favorite chilled
* 6 cups whipping cream
* 2 1/2 cups chocolate chips, divided
* 14 Kit Kat bar
* 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
* whipped cream or whipped topping

Preheat oven to 350°F.
Line bottom of 9-inch round cake pan with parchment or wax paper. Press cookie dough in bottom to 1/2 inch thickness. Bake approximately 18 minutes or until lightly brown. Cool completely.
In a large bowl, put 1 1/2 cups chocolate chips and 5 cups whipping cream. Microwave on HIGH for 4 â 5 minutes until chocolate is soft. Remove and stir well until chocolate and cream are mixed well. Cover with plastic wrap and chill overnight.
Melt remaining chocolate chips with butter and stir until smooth.
Place large cookie in center of 10-inch springform pan. Cut candy bars long ways and dip on end in chocolate mixture. Place vertically between cookie and sides of pan. Continue until all candy bar pieces are used.
Chill 20 minutes.
Whip cream and chocolate mixture until stiff.
Chop remaining candy bars into chunks. Take cookie shell and place one-third of mousse on bottom. Sprinkle chunks on top. Repeat layers, ending with mousse. Chill in freezer overnight.
Top with whipped cream and chunks of candy bar.
Return to freezer.
When ready to serve, remove from freezer and let stand in refrigerator 30 minutes before slicing.

aswartzw Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #7 of 15

I hope she's not wanting an ice cream cake. I would refuse if that's the case!

wgoat5 Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:42pm
post #8 of 15

I bet it is a stacked cake with kitkat bars around them

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 9:56pm
post #9 of 15

Firstly I would consult with her and ask her exactly what she's looking for/expecting. Tell her you have different recipes and it means different things to different people.

I was thinking it was either a plain chocolate cake with the kit-kat's used in the filling or else their incorporated into the batter/cake as well as the filling.

My first thought was that you can probably use the Ferrier Rochiere (sp?) filling that others on this site have used/mentioned. Maybe ask if someone has the recipe and substitute Kit-Kat's for the FR.

Just what I'd do.

lakaty Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:26pm
post #10 of 15

Sorry, I realize I didn't explain a Kit-Kat cake(that's what I call it and didn't think that others may not understand!) icon_redface.gif

I tried to attach a picture but it's too lsrge. There is a picture in my photos that is the Kit-kat cake(the one with the Kit-Kat's all around the cake and M&M's on top).

If I stack them one on top of another then I'd be using less M&M's because I'd only have to put the M&M's around the other cake(does that make sense???).

So now that you see the cake I'm talking about ~ any ideas
Thanks again!

wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #11 of 15

of course you can stack this... icon_smile.gif

You can cut your cake rounds a little bigger then what you need for your actual cake... before you even put the kitKats on.. making sure to leave room for the thickness of the kitkats... dowell or use a very good support system.. I recommend the SPS system.. which is the single plate system .. you can get them at GSA or icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:14am
post #12 of 15

Yep, listen to Christi/wgoat5; she knows what she's talking about! icon_wink.gif

lakaty Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:29am
post #13 of 15

Gosh, you guys have a lot of faith!!! icon_lol.gif The idea of stacking cakes terrifies me!!!!! Seriously!! I'm trying my first stacked cake in a couple of weeks. No where near as grand as this Kit-Kat could be nor is the audience as discriminating(it's a grad cake for Gr 7 students - what do they care they just want at the cake!! icon_smile.gif )

I'll check out that cake support system. It may be something I should invest in

thanks for your input!!! icon_biggrin.gif

wgoat5 Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:38am
post #14 of 15

Gracey poo your so sweet icon_smile.gif

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:20am
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by wgoat5

Gracey poo your so sweet icon_smile.gif

OMG, I haven't been called that in a loooonnnggg time! lol My mother and grandfather used to call me that occasionally. Once in a blue moon, my DH has called me that too! lol

I actually get Gracious a bit. It was started by one of DH's friends and he does it too sometimes. Most often though, I'm called Gray, for short.

And now that I've given you my name history, you're pretty sugar-coated yourself, Christi! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%