Favorite Cake And Filling Flavor Cominations?

Decorating By jmabaxter Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:55am by GrandmaG

jmabaxter Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:14am
post #1 of 4

I have a cake to make in a week and a half but I'm not sure what flavor cake and filling to use. I could use some suggestions!! It's for a casual, potluck dinner. So everyone tell me, what's your favorite cake and filling combination?

3 replies
Franluvsfrosting Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #2 of 4

Well, I have lots of favorites but my dh just had a birthday and asked for a caramel apple cake. That turned out really yummy! I have to warn you though, I torte everything.

The cake was a yellow butter cake.

I used apple cider moistening syrup on all the layers (this was just some of that powdered apple cider mix, mixed with about half the water so the flavor was really strong. This stuff is awesome as a fall dip mixed into cream cheese with a little powdered sugar too, BTW).

On the first and third layer (remember, I torted) I used some of that Mrs. Richardsons Butterscotch caramel sauce.

The middle layer had apples that I had sauteed in butter and brown sugar (and of course the syrup.)

I frosted it all with a vanilla buttercream and flooded the top with more caramel sauce.

I'm very glad to have found the little 6" pans because that cake was too good to have much in the way of left overs! icon_biggrin.gif

jmabaxter Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #3 of 4

That sounds delicious!!

GrandmaG Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #4 of 4

I love the Tuxedo cake for potlucks! I fill with whipped cream mixed with vanilla chocolate chip insant pudding.
http://www.recipezaar.com/154489

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%