Cupcake Troubleshooting

Decorating By bonniebakes Updated 30 May 2008 , 1:04am by HerBoudoir

bonniebakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonniebakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:58pm
post #1 of 5

UGH! I am so frustrated! What did I do wrong?

I tried a new cupcake recipe for a docotred cake mix. It called for a cake mix, 3 eggs, 1 1/4 cups whole milk, 3/4 cup oil, and 1 pudding mix. I made it last night, but substituted a liquid flavored coffee creamer (Italian Sweet Creme) for the milk. I filled standard sized tin 1/2- 2/3 full with batter (original recipe called for 2/3 full). The cupcakes were yummy - nice and moist inside and a great flavor. But, they rose and then spread around the edges of the tin so that they all connected. They also took a really long time to cook all the way through, so the top edges that spread got a little too crispy (for my taste).

I deccided to try again after I read that more eggs and less liquid should yield a cake that rises more straight up. ...

On try #2, I used only 3/4 cup coffee creamer and about 1/2 cup oil to reduce the liquid. I also increased it to 4 eggs. I filled the tin with slightly less batter - the cupcake wrappers were 1/2 full. This time it was better, but still not great. They still rose and spread, but not as far as the 1st time.

Any ideas why this happened? Any ideas what I can do to stop it from happenign again? The flavor was really good, so I hesitate to give up on this recipe, but I've just about had it since I've tired it twice and been disappointed...

thanks in advance!!

4 replies
chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:02am
post #2 of 5

Head over to http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=5951387#5951387 I'm sure they could help you more there!!!

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:04am
post #3 of 5

What size pudding are you using?

You can do

1 cake mix
4 eggs (1 more then what calls for on box)
Subsituite ALL liquids for the coffee creamer

That may help.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 5

What temp did you bake? Cuppies should be baked at a higher temp so they rise quickly... (If you did 350 try 375 next time)

HerBoudoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HerBoudoir Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:04am
post #5 of 5

The other problem is that when you substitute creamer for the milk, you're also adding a LOT more sugar than if you just used the milk. The additional sugar might be what's messing up your recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%