So This Is A Completely Dumb Question...pillar Plates

Decorating By Carson Updated 31 May 2008 , 12:08am by indydebi

Carson Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:57pm
post #1 of 7

So this may seem like something that everyone should already know, but the truth is I have never done a cake with pillars, everyone just wants stacked now.

I have some old Wilton Pillars from a bride that her husband's to be parents used. I checked and the pillars will fit into the plates Wilton has now (things really haven't changed since 1970, lol).

My question is that I am putting just the 6" top tier on pillars, what size of plates do I use? 6 or 8? There will be a pearl border on the cake and it will be covered in fondant, so will I need someting bigger than 6", or will 8" stick out too much?

Hopefully I make sense!

6 replies
Carson Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:57am
post #2 of 7

Is my question easy to understand, I usually ramble on way too much!

A 6" cake goes on what size of pillar plate?

psanders76 Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:04am
post #3 of 7

I would use the 8" plate if your adding a border to it. Hope this helps you.

AZCakeGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:18am
post #4 of 7

You can find 7" plates, but they are very hard to come by & might not fit the pillars that you have. I would use the 8" plates (one for your 6" cake to sit on & one to rest on top of the tier below it) & you should be fine.

Petit-four Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:07am
post #5 of 7

I'd suggest the 8" too -- Wilton sells a 7" in clear, but then you have to get the clear pillar (a tight, near impossible fit on the white pillars).

They make a plain edged-plate called "decorator preferred" I think. You'd hardly notice the slight lip. There is also a more old-fashioned one, with a scalloped edge. With today's "look" though, I'd think the scallops would detract from most modern cakes.

Hope this helps.

Carson Posted 30 May 2008 , 10:39pm
post #6 of 7

This does really help alot!!! Thanks! I will buy the 8", I know there are no 7" ones. I would love to find the clear ones as well, but there were none. Thanks again

indydebi Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:08am
post #7 of 7

I always use the same size plate as the cake. I dont' like the look of an inch of plastic sticking out around my cakes. Below are pics of some of my cakes:

I posted some step-by-steps on how to put a border on the edge of a cake but the thread was lost in the crash ... I'll try to attach them here (hope I get them in the right order!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%