Gluten Free And Egg Free

Decorating By psurrette Updated 29 May 2008 , 9:33pm by kymscakes

psurrette Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:59pm
post #1 of 6

does anyone have a good recipe for either of gluten free cake and a egg free cake. In a perfect world my customer wants a cake that is both gluten and egg free but we might not be able to achieve that request.
So if anyone can help let me know
Thank you
Paula

5 replies
southaustingirl Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:11pm
post #2 of 6

I made a cake using rice flour for my boss, who doesn't eat flour. It was pretty good! ....but I also used real eggs. I guess you could use an egg substitute. I don't have the recipe with me....it's at home. So, I'll post it later.

Jaimelt76 Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:14pm
post #4 of 6

Here is another website with recipe for gluten and egg free. I have used rice flour before and it comes out pretty good. http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/featured_recipe5.php
I hope this helps you.

bwonderful Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 6

There are several out there, you just have to look. A great resource might be www.celiac.com which has gluten free recipes and you can probably search for one without egg. Here's one that I found on a different sight, glutenagogo.blogspot.com

1/3 cup sorghum flour
1/4 cup sweet potato flour*
1/4 cup carob
1/4 cup + 2 Tb arrowroot starch
1/4 tsp sea salt
1 Tb flax seed meal
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sorghum syrup**
2 Tb vegetable shortening, melted
2 Tb cocoa butter, melted
1/2 tsp Kahlua
1/2 cup + 2 Tb almond milk

Buttercream

2 Tb sorghum syrup
2 Tb agave syrup
1 egg white
2 Tb vegetable shortening, melted
2 Tb cocoa butter, melted
2 Tb coconut oil, melted
1/2 oz Enjoy Life! chocolate chips, melted
1/2 tsp Kahlua

Recipe Variation Notes: Cake - I used a 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2 loaf pan. Buttercream - Step 1: The egg white, sorghum and agave syrup when cooked over the water bath will look like maple syrup and will not thicken. Once it has cooked for 3 minutes, transfer to the mixing bowl and continue with the recipe. Step 4: Beat the frosting for 10 minutes. Then continue with the recipe.

There's a lot of gluten free blogs that are great and also Betty Hagman has some great dessert cookbooks that would probably have some egg replacements in it. The main thing to remember with gluten free baking is that it will be very dense cakes. So if you want to make a 2" layer cake you're going to have to double the recipe. It's so dense that a little tiny piece will go a long way. A good option is to put a styrofoam round underneath the cake and frost it all together.

Here's another one I found after I googled "gluten free egg free cake"
Double Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 cups Gluten free flour (rice, soy, bean or potato or a mix)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1 cup water
6 tbsp canola oil
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla

in an 8 inch square pan stir GF flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt. make a well in center of dry ingredients. Add water, oil, vinegar and vanilla. Stir until smoothly combined. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 30 minute. but test after 25. serve with frosting.

Visit www.thecravingsplace.com if you are a mix baker and they have mixes or you may want to pass it onto your customer that they have wheat and egg free mixes.

I would love to find more but I have to go find my kids in this messy house first icon_wink.gif

kymscakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 6

When making gluten free cakes, I always use Bob's Red Mill Chocolate cake mixes:
http://www.bobsredmill.com/
I can find it in my grocery store, but not available everywhere, the mix is fantastic. My son is also allergic to eggs, we use EnerG egg replacement, also from the organic section of the grocery store.
Good Luck!
Kym

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%