Advice Needed For Gumpaste Help Please!!!

Decorating By OhMyGoodies Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:06am by OhMyGoodies

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:05pm
post #1 of 6

Ok so I'm running on really short notice with everything! I'm in the middle of planning my wedding with absolutely no money, hubby got laid off two weeks ago and has yet to find more work, we forgot our baby girl's bday was so close by icon_redface.gificon_cry.gif and I've planned a very short notice party for her this sunday, she's picked a cake that I'm finding impossible for me to make! I asked a local cc'er for advice she said gumpaste was the best way to go. So I went and bought gumpaste mix (see attached photos) also I picked up the cutters for her flowers (round cutters - see attached photos) and also picked up the daisy cut outs for my wedding cake flowers.... I NEED HELP! lmfao

How long before this gumpaste becomes rock solid if at all?? How far in advance should I make them up? The party is this sunday 6/1 and my wedding is 6/7. If I can make them all at once and the ones for the wedding cake will be alright until the wedding date, how should I store them until then? Also how would I go about applying them to the cake so that they stick?

Any additional helps tips advice is greatly appreciated as you can probably tell I'm totally stressed and at my witts end! Wedding plans and making your own cake...... alot of people said I couldn't handle it... I think I'm doing pretty damn good lmfao but just need some solid help and advice... and I'm not finding that where I'm looking so hopefully you guys can give me some solid true advice on what to do here icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance everyone!!!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL

5 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:11pm
post #2 of 6

You'll be fine! icon_smile.gif In my experience, gumpaste totally hardens in just a few hours. If you are tinting it, it can fade so I store my finished projects in boxes of some sort (I use the Glad type plastic ones w/ the blue lids), wrap my finished gumpaste items between layers of paper towels, and keep away from the light (even indirect light) in a cupboard.

You can attach them on the cake with BC or RI.

OhMyGoodies Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:32pm
post #3 of 6

awolf, thanks so much!!! I will be tinting for my daughter's cake a pale pink so I don't want it to fade too much back to white lmfao and I'll be tinting a bit yellow for the centers of my daisies others said to use buttercream or RI but I don't wanna go to all that trouble of making RI lol and tintin buttercream I'd rather just do it all at once like this lmfao...

Can I use water to attach the gumpaste to gumpaste on the daisies like you would do fondant??? or should I just use the butter cream for the yellow centers on them?

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 6

Will the cakes be iced in BC or fondant? I don't know if water would be enough on fondant...

Do you have any piping gel? That is a little thicker and would give a little more "stick" factor.

If you are using a non-crusting BC of any type, you can just put them on there. Should stay just fine.

disneynutbsv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
disneynutbsv Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:13pm
post #5 of 6

Love the daisy cake! Daisy's are my fave.

And not trying to hijack the thread, but does anyone know where I can find metal daisy cutters?? The ones from Wilton do not cut well at all, I find I need to go back into the crevices with scissors to get the excess out.

OhMyGoodies Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:06am
post #6 of 6

The cakes will be iced in a crusting butter cream, I guess I'll try the piping gel...

Thanks Brenda... I picked that cake from here on CC a while ago it was a toss up between two different ones both purple and white but I choose this one because my sister's favorite flowers were daisies and she passed in November so.. it's kinda a way to have her with us lol icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%