New To The Cakeworld...

Decorating By amyv99 Updated 30 May 2008 , 7:37pm by courtney1009

amyv99 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 12

I've recently got into cake decorating but don't have many utensils at the moment. I'm overwhelmed by the sheer amount of items and don't know what to buy!

What essentials do you think I need and what brands should I look out for?

I'm completely clueless - any help would be appreciated!

11 replies
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 12

Personally, I would say that Wilton is not good for much other than decorating bags, couplers and tips.

Americolor gel colors for your icing are AWESOME!

I would also invest in a sturdy turntable for icing and decorating your cakes. Again, avoid Wilton.

I also could not live w/out my KitchenAid mixer. I only have the standard Artisan model but even that is a pretty considerable investment. Totally worth the $$ though. icon_smile.gif

TooMuchCake Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 12

It's fun to buy cake stuff, just don't go overboard! icon_smile.gif Lots of us here have stuff taking up room in pantries and drawers that we wish we'd never bought. You can use the search feature to find topics about tools we wish we'd never bought. That way you'll know what to scratch off the shopping list!

Awolf is right, a good mixer and a good turntable really are "musts" if you do a lot of cake. I would also add that I buy multiples of things like couplers, metal spatulas, basic tips like 1 - 12, 18, 32, 104, etc etc. You don't want to be stopping to wash tips when you're in the midst of decorating.

Welcome, and happy caking!

luvbakin Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:50pm
post #4 of 12

Diddo on the above. Also, get Magic Line cake pans for more even baking and CRISP corners.

courtney1009 Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 12

These are the things I can't live without:

Kitchen Aid Mixer
Sturdy Turntable
Small and Large offset spatula's (I use ateco or pampered chef)
Americolor gel colors (these are the best colors ever!)
Magic line cake pans! accept no subtitutes!
I don't really like wilton tips.... I'd go with ateco

Other then that you can just build as you go. You'll know when you need something special... And then it's fun to go shopping for.

Also everyone on this site really likes sugarshack instructional dvd's. I just ordered mine so I can't really say for sure... but I don't think this many people can be wrong.

I agree with everyone else avoid wilton!

Texas_Rose Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:34pm
post #6 of 12

There are tons of tools for cake decorating. Once you get into fondant, there's even more.

To start with, you need a couple of round 8" or 9" pans, an offset spatula, a couple of icing bags or a box of disposables, some basic tips and a flower nail. A good mixer is helpful, a basic one will be all right at first. Oh, and the cheap Wilton leveler...$3 at Walmart and the one thing I couldn't do without.

You can always add more stuff as you find a need for it. I was looking through my cake stuff today and realized that I have probably 100 tips, 12 flower nails, pans that I have never used and probably will never use, pattern press shapes, a frosting comb...I used to just buy whatever I thought I might eventually need, and it resulted in having a lot of junk that I don't use. Now that I'm getting into fondant, I only buy things for it that I know I will need, and I have a lot, but it's all stuff I use.

Everyone is saying that you should avoid Wilton...but I bet almost everyone started with it icon_biggrin.gif

AJsGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:51pm
post #7 of 12

I think Wilton is great for bags, tips, couplers, etc. As far as tips, start with rounds (1-12) and stars (16, 18, 21, 32), and you need 104, 97, and 352 for roses and leaves.

For pans, my most used sizes are 8" and 9" rounds, 9x13, and for tiered cakes, 6" and 10" rounds.

I can't live without my turntable, offset spatulas, KitchenAid mixer, parchment paper, and CC!

courtney1009 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:55pm
post #8 of 12

I started with wilton, but now I find myself replacing all of it! There are only one or two wilton products I still use. (I like the gumpaste kit and the really big rolling pin for fondant.) But for the same price, or just a few dollars more you can get a far better product for most other stuff. It's not that wilton isn't good to start, but be prepared to replace it all after you realize how bad it is. Especially the bakeware. I used to think Wilton meant it was the best... I was really wrong..... If you do decide to buy wilton look in the paper for joann or michaels coupons you can get 40% off on a regular priced item. They carry a lot of wilton stuff.

mommy2djb Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 12

where is the best place to buy the magic line pans?

amyv99 Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:46pm
post #10 of 12

thats fantastic!

Thanks for everyones help!

courtney1009 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:35pm
post #11 of 12

I had a local cake store order my magic line pans. However I just placed an order with and they had a ton of magic lines. And you get a 10% discount if you enter cakecentral in the coupon code.

courtney1009 Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #12 of 12

sorry I forgot it won't come up it is fondant source dot com.

Quote by @%username% on %date%