Fondant Vs Gumpaste For Figures

Decorating By cakeryluv Updated 29 May 2008 , 9:02pm by cakeryluv

cakeryluv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeryluv Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 6

Anyone prefer one over the other?

I have been using the Wilton tub of gumpaste mix (just add water and PS) for the last 2 sets of figures I've done and I dont like how grainy the gumpaste is. I'm so used to working with clay for figure sculpting that I'm not sure whether it's just me not being used to the texture, if I'm mixing my gumpaste wrong, or if the product just stinks in general. I do have a can of powdered Gum Tex and ingredients to make it that way too, but I'm assuming I'd recieve the same results.

Today I had a 40% off coupon and purchased some icky Wilton premade fondant to try instead, hoping the texture wont be as grainy. They wont be eaten, it's just a cake topper.

Anyone have any sage words of advice for me?

5 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 6

I make Michelle Foster's fondant. When I need gumpaste, I just sprinkle Wilton Gum-Tex into the fondant and it works just fine. icon_smile.gif It seems I remember the ratio being 1 Tblsp. to 1 Lb. of fondant, but don't quote me on that... I just sprinkle it on, and work it in...lol icon_razz.gif I think it pretty much works the same as tylose?

Good luck,
Pat

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 6

I actually use a 50/50 mixure of fondant and gumpaste.

cakeryluv Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:00pm
post #4 of 6

luvbakin, does that make it less grainy? What type of gumpaste do you use?

luvbakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvbakin Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:10pm
post #5 of 6

Not sure of the name brand. I get it from my local cake store. It's a package mix. Could be CK. No, not grainy at all, and it won't be too soft to work with.

cakeryluv Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:02pm
post #6 of 6

I wonder if it's just Wilton's gumpaste being grainy in general.

Does anyone sucessfully use Wilton's gumpaste mix and not end up with grainy texture? since I have so much of this now I may as well try to use it up!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%