Stencils

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:14am by sugarshack

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:47pm
post #1 of 4

I was asked to make a cake for an upcoming 50th birthday party and given free rein on the project. After purchasing stencils to use on a fondant cake they told me they would like whipped topping on the cake - I can get away with using buttercream but not fondant.

Has anyone done stenciling on buttercream? I use a nicely crusting buttercream so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm assuming that I would need to use buttercream to stencil the design as well correct? Any tips would be appreciated.

3 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:49pm
post #2 of 4

You can also use royal or an airbrush to stencil on BC

SueBuddy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueBuddy Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:48am
post #3 of 4

yes, anyone else out there that uses stencils alot, have any good tips on how to do it? I have only ever tried it on buttercream then wiping buttercream over the top of the stencil, but I didn't have good luck with it. Now I want to try it with fondant and royal icing, on the sides of a wedding cake. Thank you!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 4

i do it on BC all the time. I use that tiny palette knife to paddle it on, then wipe most off but leave a film on the stencil. it does not have to be smooth. you can use bc or royal. then peel stencil away. if it is bc, and some stick sup, you can smooth it down a tiny bit after it crusts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%