Using A Fruit Filling

Decorating By JennaK Updated 2 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm by JennaK

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #1 of 14

I am making my first cake with strawberry filling. Is there anything I need to know to keep it from running or mixing with the frosting on the sides?

13 replies
JoAnnB Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 14

You need to use a strong icing dam around the edge of the cake layer to prevent it from leaking out. Also, don't add too much, or the weght will squeeze out the filling.

sandeeb Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:08pm
post #3 of 14

Hi, Just make sure your icing dam is wide enough to prevent leaking and bulging on the side of the cake. About 1 inch wide is what I use.
Good luck. icon_smile.gif

mcdonald Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:19pm
post #4 of 14

I would double coat that dam!! I had one this week end that oozed all night and I was up to 3:00 in the morning fixing it... never really did.

I don't want to scare you.... just don't worry about getting that filling all the way out to the edge.. keep it inside and have your icing thicker than what you want to spread with so it can withstand the weight.....

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:31pm
post #5 of 14

To make the dam I just pipe a big line around the edge of the cake?

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:15pm
post #6 of 14

Also, do I still put buttercream in the middle too or just the fruit?

sari66 Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 14
Originally Posted by JennaK

Also, do I still put buttercream in the middle too or just the fruit?

Yes just a ring around the edge; and no b/c in the middle icon_smile.gif

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:58pm
post #8 of 14

OK. I think I got it!
Thanks for all the awesome tips!

ziggytarheel Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 14

I am such a chicken with strawberry filling. I mix just a little bit of buttercream in it to help it stay put and not bleed. Then an extra big, extra stiff bc dam.

Zahrah Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:17pm
post #10 of 14

Try to make your filling less runny too.

Petit-four Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:16am
post #11 of 14

If vegetarian concerns are not a problem, then sprinkle 1/2 T of gelatin (1/2 package) over 2 T cold water. Let it thicken a minute or 2, then warm the preserves very gently (if you use a microwave, really lower the setting, because sugar gets hot fast), then blend in the gelatin. Let it set up. It's good to do this early, while perhaps your cake is baking. When cool, it's ready to go! thumbs_up.gif

This stabilizes most preserves and avoid a lot of leaking. But, yes, the icing ring/dam is a must! A stiffer icing (add more powdered sugar) helps a lot.

Hope this helps!

vdrsolo Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:15pm
post #12 of 14

I used the sleeved strawberry pastry filling with about a 1/2" dam, it will not run, ooze, or soak into the cake. I also torte all my layers so instead of having one thick layer of filling, I have 3 thinner layers, helps with stability. A thick layer can cause the layers to slip.

Narie Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 14

Jenna - As JoAnnB said, "Also, don't add too much, or the weight will squeeze out the filling." I got carried away with filling just recently; and while the dams held and it didn't bluge or leak on the sides, the cake was totally unstable. I couldn't get it frosted properly because each layer threatened to slide off. Once it was cut, the top two layers did slide off. The intact dams were the only thing holding it together.

JennaK Posted 2 Jun 2008 , 10:09pm
post #14 of 14

I made my cake with filling and it was perfect. Thanks so much for all the advice, it would have been a disaster if I was left to my own devices.
Thanks Again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%