Ending Stripes

Decorating By thecakemaker Updated 29 May 2008 , 5:45pm by thecakemaker

thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:44pm
post #1 of 5

I have a wedding cake for tomorrow evening that will have polka dots on the bottom tier and vertical stripes on the top tier. This is just a small 2 tier cake to top off the cupcake tower that her mother and father are building / baking for her. This is all being done using MMF at the brides request - in white, teal and lime green. She is not using a topper and didn't want anything on the top of the top tier. My question is - how do I "end" the stripes on the top of the tier and make them look good? I thought about making a flat round cutout to place at the center of the top - any other suggestions?

Thanks
Debbie

4 replies
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:07pm
post #2 of 5

That is a good idea. Or you could just make the stripes as tall as the tier itself and not have them actually go on the top of the cake. I'm assuming she isn't having a border on the top tier....or maybe you could do just a very small bead border to sort of top it off without a formal center topper.

thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:22pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks ~ the cake will have a rounded top edge not a squared off one so I wasn't sure about where to end it. You're correct - there will be no border. Every picture I find of a striped top tier has a topper on it - I didn't even think about it until very early this morning when it woke me up!

Debbie

smitakasargod Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 5

I have done the rounded plaque mehod like you mentioned for one of my cakes. I handpainted the plaque to give it some interest. May be you can put fondant polka dots on it to tie in with the bottom tier.

thecakemaker Posted 29 May 2008 , 5:45pm
post #5 of 5

That's an idea - thanks for another option! I was thinking one circle (polka dot) but didn't think about a round with polkadots on it.

Debbie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%