Dh Dropped The Cake!!!!

Decorating By hotmamatigger Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:46pm by AJsGirl

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:38pm
post #1 of 15

That's it. My baby girl's first birthday cake. Not sure what happened, and somehow I'm being blamed for it. I put it in the cake caddy, taped the candle in there, closed it up and left it for him to pick up on the way to dinner. And he dropped it. Said he picked it up, turned to the door and the bottom fell out. And it's my fault because I obviously didn't latch it right. Grrr. I can't believe he screwed this up and everyone turned it around on me!

It was ugly anyway, I decorated it at 3am. Another lesson learned.

Elizabeth

14 replies
MeMo07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeMo07 Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 15

I'm so sorry. He's probably just embarrassed he dropped it, and trying to make himself feel better.

I'm sure it wasn't ugly though! Do you have any pictures?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 15

Oh, I'm sorry! I made a huge 3 tiered cake a couple weeks back and assembled before delivery (w/o the SPS system.....big mistake, HUGE!) Anyway, I couldn't lift it and HE didn't want to carry it because he was afraid he would be the one to drop it! Everntually he did but it was so hot out and my icing was soft so it was a train wreck regardless of who carried it icon_sad.gif

hotmamatigger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hotmamatigger Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:44pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks for the sympathy. He totally blamed me too. And yes, it was ugly. I didn't take the time to carve off the dome top, so it was all round a a little bumpy. The lettering was uneven, the big number one on top was hideously large, the flowers along the sides were lopsided and droopy, I got more than a little overzealous with my 21 star tip... yeah, it was UGLY!

Elizabeth

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:01pm
post #5 of 15

I'm sorry this happened, but your comment about the DH is "tongue-in-cheek" isn't it, (I hope)???? icon_surprised.gif

If the carrier wasn't latched properly--and he wasn't the one who closed & latched it--then I hardly think he's at fault if the bottom dropped out and the cake fell. icon_eek.gif

I have the large Wilton carrier and I worry about the latches not being properly snugged down, so I always latch it and then lift it up by the handle only a few inches while supporting the bottom. I had one side let go once, so I do this type of check every time I use it.

Rae

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:34am
post #6 of 15

You should have checked it, he should have checked it.....the way I see it you are both to blame, but then neither one of you are to blame. Things happen. Live and learn....and double check those latches. icon_smile.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:50am
post #7 of 15

cake god karma?

ugly cake put out of its and your's misery?

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:56am
post #8 of 15

Go buy yourself something nice to compensate yourself for *his* not checking the carrier to make sure it was latched. I'd say $300 should do it.

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:06am
post #9 of 15

Oh wow... I'm so sorry that happened! Everyone will look back and laugh (some day... ). It'll make a funny story every time she has a birthday now.

I hear this happens to everyone once. Just think... you have now had your once. I still live in fear of when mine will be.... and I KNOW it's coming!

ssunshine564 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssunshine564 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

cake god karma?

ugly cake put out of its and your's misery?

I agree with Doug.

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #11 of 15

Maybe he didn't really drop the cake....maybe it jumped because it was so ugly! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

(The smiley chefs mean I'm joking! All cakes made with love are beautiful.)

vdrsolo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vdrsolo Posted 30 May 2008 , 3:06am
post #12 of 15

You should have said it was her smash cake....you meant for it to happen!! icon_biggrin.gif

So sorry this happened to you, we didn't celebrate our first one's birthday until a couple of weeks later. Make another one.....set the clocks back on the camera and do it all over again!!

Lovemypups Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lovemypups Posted 30 May 2008 , 11:29am
post #13 of 15

I'm sorry, but you're in good company. Duff's brother (I think) dropped a huge castle cake on Ace of Cakes last night. vdrsolo's right -- celebrate with another one.

missmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missmeg Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:39pm
post #14 of 15

:hug:

My dh did that a few years ago. I was watching when it happened. My cake carrier had two LARGE BLUE handles on the top, plus two smaller blue locking clasps on the side. Dh had to move the cake. Guess where he picked it up? You guessed it - not the large blue handles on top, but the smalls blue clasps on the side.

Dh and the kids ate that cake, while I baked and decorated another. Thankfully it was only an 8-inch round, and not something larger.

AJsGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJsGirl Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:46pm
post #15 of 15

I. would. just. die.

And hubby would be sleeping on the couch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%