Edible Jewels.......they Look Real!!!

Decorating By KHalstead Updated 1 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 19

HI, I remember seeing tons of posts of people trying to buy edible jewels that looked real and nobody was ever satisfied and the molds are expensive and they're a pain to make!! I just stumbled on this site and thought their jewels were gorgeous and thought I'd share the link in case anyone else needed them for a cake!!
http://www.fancyflours.com/emerald-green-cake-jewels.html

18 replies
Kavingate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kavingate Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 19

Thank you!!!!

gottabakenow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gottabakenow Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 19

wow those are gorgeous! thanks for sharing!

cakesbyjulie2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjulie2 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:36am
post #4 of 19

Thanks so much that is a great site ! thumbs_up.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 30 May 2008 , 4:00am
post #5 of 19

I ordered those jewels and was very disappointed. First of all, I got the clear diamonds, which should be renamed "invisible" diamonds.

They definitely are faceted like real gems, which means that the back of the gem comes to a point as if it were going to be placed in a setting. Not very practical for sticking onto a cake.

Having to push the jewel into the cake coupled with the lack of a solid backing made the jewels look like blobs of piping gel against a colored cake.

The jewels are on the vest on the top tier, at the tips of the scrolls on the middle tier and between the diamonds on the bottom tier.
LL

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:16am
post #6 of 19

Those Jewels are beutiful! icon_surprised.gif I have never seen them before. Thanks for sharing.

fondantfrenzy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantfrenzy Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:38am
post #7 of 19

That reminds me of ring pops, I am sure you an get the GEM mold and use the recipe for hard candy and make it no problem! But then again, i have never made hard candy...but you know for 20 bucks for those things that look like hard candy i guess its worth a try?

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:40am
post #8 of 19

DianeLM, I'm glad you posted about your problematic experience with those jewels. I was looking at them and wondering how well they would show up on a cake without much sparkle and/or backing.

I also wondered if maybe the backs could be painted with silver luster dust mixed with vodka (or Everclear). Have you tried that or could you try that?

KHalstead Posted 30 May 2008 , 5:43pm
post #9 of 19

call me crazy but I think they look AWESOME on your cake!!! I can see what you mean about the clear ones maybe being invisible on the cake......but I would image they'd still pick up the light right???

pinktea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinktea Posted 30 May 2008 , 6:17pm
post #10 of 19

Your cake looks fabulous Diane. Thanks for sharing. I had an order in for these but has not finalized it but was a little hesitant as how the would look. Standing alone , they are beautiful but I was wonder would that really "pop" on a colorful cake.

SusieHazCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieHazCakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 19

Thanks for the find. I think they look very cool and agree that maybe silver luster dust on the back of the clear ones would help them look more like stones. Heck, red or blue painted on the back of clear ones might look awesome, too.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 31 May 2008 , 12:49am
post #12 of 19

they might be easy to make....i'm gonna go look for some gem molds.

that is a stunning denim and diamonds cake!

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #13 of 19

DianeLM, I'm sorry, got a little tunnel vision there. Your cake is absolutely gorgeous, even without 'extra' sparkle I can still appreciate the jewels in the cake. Such a great design! You should be very proud of that one!

chele_belle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chele_belle Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #14 of 19

bump

KHalstead Posted 31 May 2008 , 1:43am
post #15 of 19

I just googled jewel molds and found these......they look nice enough!!

http://www.wineandcake.com/browse.cfm/4.1472.745.html

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 May 2008 , 2:55am
post #16 of 19

I just bought some gem molds from Sweet Celebrations. They look easy enough, but I haven't tried them yet since I've actually had work to do icon_mad.gificon_evil.gificon_mad.gif

Man...Work sure does cut into my sugar playing time.

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 31 May 2008 , 4:31am
post #17 of 19

grrrr work!

i guess all you'd need is a candy thermometer i'm gonna give it a try...these people around here can't get enough bling on their cakes.

i looked for lollipop making on you tube...didn't find much.

i just wanted to add...i been doing mosiac tile and glass gem backsplashes in my kitchen and when i painted metallic paint on the back of he glass it really made them shiny and changed the look completely...i bet it would be the same with this...prolly would be faster to airbrush it huh?

Zahrah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zahrah Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 8:38pm
post #18 of 19

I've tried painting the back of candy jewels is luster dust and extract. Didn't work for me. Neither did dusting on the powder dust. Trying to dust the mold before making them didn't work either!! If anyone can figure out a way to adhere silver or gold luster dust the back, I'd love to hear about it.

The next time I try, I'm going to make them again (my mold is for flat back jewels) or order them from jeff-the-chef (also flat bach) and paint the cake surface with the silver or gold before placing them there. ::sigh::

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 1 Jun 2008 , 10:41pm
post #19 of 19

The only other thing I can think of is using silver leaf on the back.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%