Fondant Cake At Outside Wedding...in Summer!!

Decorating By JennaK Updated 30 May 2008 , 2:12am by angienajjar

JennaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:49pm
post #1 of 9

I have a huge fondant covered wedding cake for an outside wedding in the dead of summer. In my city the average high in summer is well over 100 degrees. I have never had to contend with the heat so is there anything I need to know or be careful of so this cake doesn't turn into a huge mess?
Thanks!

8 replies
sweetdesignsbyla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetdesignsbyla Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:00pm
post #2 of 9

I'm located in Florida so I can relate to the heat, Fondant does remarkably well outdoors, but just to put your mind at ease, I would make a small 3,4, or 5 inch cake, cover it with fondant, add similar decorating details to it, like the ones due on your wedding cake and place it outside for a couple of hours... You will gain two things by doing so...

1) you will see how well it DOES or DOESN't do in the heat.
2) you will get a little practice by making it similar to the real one that will be due on the actual wedding day.

Good Luck, and please make sure to pm me if you can with the finished product or at least let me know how it held up...

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:21pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks.
And I will send you a picture of the finished product. (the wedding is in only 3 weeks! icon_surprised.gif )

ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:33pm
post #4 of 9

Where in CA are you? I am in San Jose which is about 100 during summer as well. I usually keep my cakes refrigerated until the last minute that I have to display them. I haven't had any problems yet...

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 6:38pm
post #5 of 9

ericaann79... I am in Bakersfield. And I will definatley leave the cake in the refrigerator until time to go, but the wedding ceremony and reception are in the same area. So my poor cake will have to sit through all of it. And they want fillings!!!
Geez.

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:24pm
post #6 of 9

Fondant is the preferred method of covering outdoor cakes in the summer due. I wouldn't put it in the refrigerator because you will then have to deal with it sweating and that can cause you problems. Just leave it inside for as long as possible and wheel it out for the reception.

Seriously, you don't want to be doing this cake in BC. It will fall off.

JennaK Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:37pm
post #7 of 9

aswartzw....
I have had one that sweated before. Not pretty!
So with the buttercream under the fondant everything will hold in place and stay put?

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JennaK

aswartzw....
I have had one that sweated before. Not pretty!
So with the buttercream under the fondant everything will hold in place and stay put?

You should be fine! thumbs_up.gif I've read before where some people refuse to do anything but fondant for summer weddings for this very reason. Fondant sort of holds everything together.

angienajjar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angienajjar Posted 30 May 2008 , 2:12am
post #9 of 9

I live 11 degrees north of the equator, on a Caribbean Island....do we do outdoor weddings? Summer ALL YEAR? You bet, and fondant does GREAT...your biggest enemy is RAIN.....moisture in the air does not do well with fondant....however, the way I look at it....if it clouds over, during the event, then there is not much you can do......
Sunny skies, and lots of heat, you are safe my friend....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%