When To Cut A Sheet Cake At Potluck/picnic

Decorating By Marysmom Updated 29 May 2008 , 1:38pm by awolf24

Marysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marysmom Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, I'm making a half sheet cake with my daughter's pre-school logo on it for her end of the year picnic/potluck.

I want the cake to be seen, but at the same time I don't want folks cutting it themselves. I'm just wondering what time is best to cut the cake. Maybe I should just keep an eye out for when people start heading for the desserts. And then go up and just cut it all up and leave some cake spatulas for everyone to serve themselves.

My mother told me that she used to pre-cut a cake before it was iced. Though, I've never done this.

Anyone have any been-there-done-that tips?

2 replies
LetThereBeCake07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LetThereBeCake07 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:27pm
post #2 of 3

Once everyone goes through the food line and gets their first serving of food. The dessert table is usually seperate but you could display the cake on it and just "stand guard". Then after the food line dies down you could start cutting it, trust me, people come as soon as the knife hits!

another option is to start ucutting away at the edges leaving the design part for last. sometimes at potlucks people grab dessert along with their food all in one swoop.

awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:38pm
post #3 of 3

exactly what LetThereBeCake07 said - I think that is great advice. People tend to grab dessert as they go through the food line but if you start cutting at the edges, at least your design will have more of a chance of being seen.

That being said, I've brought cake to a local fire department picnic for the past 2 years and OMG it disappears FAST! My parents have attended and never even got to see it before it was GONE. So, take pictures before you leave the house! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%