Sugarshack Dvd's

Decorating By courtney1009 Updated 25 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm by sugarshack

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:16pm
post #1 of 22

I"m ordering all three dvd's this morning. I noticed all of the tools on her website. I was wondering if anyone had the dvd's that bought or wished they bought the tools to go with them. If you were going to buy a couple which would they be?

21 replies
courtney1009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 22

anyone...sorry I'm really excited. can you tell?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:07pm
post #3 of 22

I have all three DVDs and love them all. I already have many of the tools and toys she uses so I haven't ordered any of those but her cutter set looks interesting. You will need those tools though, if you don't already own the palette knife and the bench scraper for example you will need to get them. Enjoy!! icon_biggrin.gif

courtney1009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 22

is the palate knife different from a small offset spatula?

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:16pm
post #5 of 22

Yes, in the stacking video she uses the palette knife which is smaller and thinner and more flexible than the offset spatula. Here's a link -- she uses the one that's on the top. http://globalsugarart.com/search.php?search=palette+knife&searchimage.x=27&searchimage.y=5

It's important to use the palette knife because you can get into areas on the cake to fix things without making a bigger mess.

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 22

That's funny b/c I just ordered them all last night. I did order the diamond impression mat b/c I want to do that like she does and I also ordered her stitching tool b/c the one that came with my wilton gumpaste kit sucks. The wheel doesn't turn (what is the point of that?) I hope hers is better. Anyway, I already have a palette knife, but I would say that is a good thing to have. All of her prices on her site were very reasonable for what you get, the stitching tool at the store here is $10 and I think it was 7 on her site, so I wouldn't hesitate to get them if you want to try what she does.

Dee1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dee1219 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:36pm
post #7 of 22

I LOVE her DVD's!! I am patiently waiting for her to make more!! I dropped her an email and inquired about a topsy turvy dvd and a gumpaste flower and character dvd. I have been decorating for quite some time actually and I still learned so much from those DVDs. I think they are great for any decorator no matter how much or little experience you have!! I did not order the tools although I am contemplating the diamond impression matt. HTH

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:44pm
post #8 of 22

I've got her all three DVD's. I wish I have ordered the palette knife and the bench scraper. I might have to buy it from here in UK now.

I recommend her DVD's to anyone, b/c I learnt a lot from them. thumbs_up.gif

courtney1009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:52pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks soooooooooooooooooooo much!!!!!! I"m so excited. I was only going to order one dvd. I asked my husband which one he thought I should order first and he said "Why don't you just get them all?" I was shocked. How supportive was that!!! I have a great hubby. Thanks so much for your help. shipping costs so much it's just cheaper to order everything at once rather then paying $6 shipping for one item. Thanks again.... I"m going to order them right now!!!!!! I had already decided on the diamond impression mat.... but you've convinced me to get the palate knife and stitching tool too! So excited!!!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 22

Make sure you have a bench scraper like the she has -- she goes into that too. Some bench scrapers have wonky handles which won't allow the blade to set flat on the board.

courtney1009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 22

I do have the right bench scrapper. Thank you! What about the fondant smoothers? All I have is the small wilton one.

bobwonderbuns Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:08pm
post #12 of 22

I bought two of the Wilton fondant smoothers years ago and that's what I use. They work just fine. Sugarshack likes the rectangular ones but she says that's just her preference. You will need two smoothers though.

courtney1009 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:09pm
post #13 of 22

thanks again! you guys are the best!!!!!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:12pm
post #14 of 22

I've got them all on my birthday wish list!! Hubby knows my dislike of classes and he even said the DVDs can be referred to over and over. Fingers crossed! icon_smile.gif

cakesnkids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesnkids Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:04pm
post #15 of 22

I def think it's worthwhile to buy the tools you don't have. It'll save on your shipping some if you don't have to order from two companies, and she has put great thought into what tools she uses. The tracing wheel is a great idea, and the impression matts are great when you need a side design. I prefer her bench scraper to the one I had, b/c hers IS straight up and down.

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Jun 2008 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 22

I got them all for my birthday! I have a great hubby too!

I did find the bench scraper at Target for $3. It even has measurements printed on it.

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 20 Jun 2008 , 12:53am
post #17 of 22

I have all three DVDs - love them! I bought the diamond impression mat and the bench scraper. Because I am also a sewer (and I live in Canada with regard to shipping), I thought it might be cheaper to get a stitching wheel from my local fabric shop. You'll love these DVDs!

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 6:53pm
post #18 of 22

great finds ladies! great way to save money and I am all for that!

thumbs_up.gif

yayadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yayadesigns Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 9:09pm
post #19 of 22

After the thread last week, I ordered 2 of the dvd's and the palette knife. From what I can tell, they should be here today. I can't wait to get home and check the mailbox!

charlieinMO Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charlieinMO Posted 23 Jun 2008 , 10:16pm
post #20 of 22

Alright ladies!! I placed my order!! Can't wait to get it!!! I ordered the stacking and the buttercream dvds and some tools!!! I am very excited and hopefully it won't be delivered to my neighbors!!! Half the time we don't know where stuff will be as they just pick a house to drop it off at!!
Thanks for the heads up!!
Charlotte

sugarcheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarcheryl Posted 24 Jun 2008 , 6:47pm
post #21 of 22

I ordered dvd last night can't wait and now I want to order the rest.

sugarshack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarshack Posted 25 Jun 2008 , 5:32pm
post #22 of 22

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%