Chocolate Ganache

Decorating By cupsncakes Updated 30 May 2008 , 1:32am by sari66

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:05am
post #1 of 7

OK I've just done a search on this site about Chocolate Ganache, (this is absolutely the place I come to for answers now!) but I seem to have found conflicting answers in past forum posts icon_confused.gif So, my question is, do I need to refrigerate a cake that is covered in 50/50 chocolate/cream ganache? I have a Wilton book that says, "Refrigerate until serving" and other books that don't mention anything at all. I am confused, please help! Also, the days are quite cool here at the moment, (it's late Autumn) so the cake will not be exposed to hot weather. I really want to decorate a cake on Friday for delivery on Saturday but I'd rather not have to put it in the fridge. I don't want to make anyone sick though icon_surprised.gif

6 replies
mellormom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mellormom Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #2 of 7

My instructor said that sugar is a preservative so refrigeration is not needed most of the time. But I know some on this site would disagree. If you are putting fondant around the cake then it would seal the cake even more and should be fine in my opinion.
Jen...

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:09pm
post #3 of 7

Hi there, when I make Ganache I use 1 : 2 ratio. And also I have read in another forum that the cream goes through chemical reaction when its cooked, and also you can keep it out side if its under 19 degrees.

HTH icon_smile.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:11pm
post #4 of 7

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache......

http://www.baking911.com/chocolate/ganache_truffles.htm

cupsncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupsncakes Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #5 of 7

Thank you all very much. You are so helpful! icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:27am
post #6 of 7

You don't need to put a cake with ganache on it into the fridge i've done enough of them to know! icon_smile.gif

sari66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sari66 Posted 30 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #7 of 7

You don't need to put a cake with ganache on it into the fridge i've done enough of them to know! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%