Tres Leche Cake And Whipped Cream Frosting

Decorating By Trynity Updated 31 May 2008 , 5:32am by Trynity

Trynity Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:02am
post #1 of 5

Hi, I had a request for a half sheet tres leche cake with whipped cream frosting. As I was thinking about it after the initial conversation, I started to worry if the tres leche cake seeps at all, it'll probably break down the whipped cream frosting. Then I wondered if just the fact of the cake being so moist would start breaking down the frosting.

I don't have a problem telling her it won't work, but I was wondering if anyone has any insight on this. I've never made tres leche in a sheet cake form. Should I worry about it seeping? Can it be prevented? Is this a horrible combination to put together?

Any help would be very appreciated. Thank You!

4 replies
miny Posted 29 May 2008 , 7:34am
post #2 of 5

Trynity don't worry about it I've made A LOT of tres leches cakes, it's the most requested in my case and I always do it with wipped cream or Pastry Pride and it holds very well, if you are worried about any milk coming out just beat it very well and do a thicker covering on the sides but most of the time the bottom border helps to hold the milk inside, just make sure the cake don't spend a lot of time in the sun because cold keeps the milk thicker and makes it harder to seep.
Good luck! icon_smile.gif
P.S. You can see in my pictures "chococat" is 1/2 sheet 3 leches, didn't seep.

Trynity Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I needed to know!

Very cute cake! You said it was filled with peach filling, so the tres leche is sturdy enough to cut in half? Or did you have 2 on top of each other? It seems like a finicky cake to me, but I guess it's a lot sturdier than I thought?

miny Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 5

You are very welcome!!! icon_biggrin.gif
It's actually 2 cakes (one on top of the other), it's very scary to do in the begining but you'll get use to it with time and practice.

Trynity Posted 31 May 2008 , 5:32am
post #5 of 5

Yeah, I have stacked 2 sheet cakes before...with mixed results. I don't like doing it because I've had the top layer crack in half because I was going to slow (or the board beneath it broke from the weight). I've learned the hard way that you just have to "go for it" and when you get your top cake in position, slide it off in one quick move. I also use a wooden board and not a cardboard one so it can hold the weight ... which is really heavy but at least it doesn't break. Then I shift it a bit if I need to when I get it on. At least that's how I get it to not break in half!! I think part of that is my cakes have gotten better as well, my sheet cakes are more moist and a little more flexible and I've learned where the spot is to bake them (sheet cakes) in my they aren't in there forever anymore!

Thanks again for all your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%