Graduation Season

Decorating By edith123 Updated 30 May 2008 , 12:11am by edith123

edith123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
edith123 Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:16am
post #1 of 12

How's graduation season going for you guys? are you guys starting to get a lot of orders?

11 replies
Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:25am
post #2 of 12

I had 6 this past weekend. Not so many this weekend becasue I have a big catering to do, but it picks up for me next weekend.

edith123 Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:43am
post #3 of 12

wow! you have really been busy! I have 3 for this weekend 2 for next and 4 more for the week after! good luck getting more orders, I love graduation season. How about you? hope to get some more orders my self! thumbs_up.gif keep up the good work. icon_biggrin.gif

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 12

Congrats on all the orders. But I have a question, how do you guys make so many cakes in one weekend?? I make one cake and I think there is no way I could add another, but I know it will happen at some point. any advice???

edith123 Posted 29 May 2008 , 8:58pm
post #5 of 12

Dear jojo4: I'm not going to lie to you It's very hard work! Specially since I'm the only one doing the baking, my dh helps me with the clean-up and him and the kids help me with the tastings. icon_biggrin.gif usually I try to only take as many orders as I can handle, but baking and decorating it's my true passion, so usually I don't see it as work, it's more like fun time for me. I really enjoy every creation besides I have been very lucky with my customers.

Usually my customers usually leave the decorating up to me, It's a big responsibility but so far they have been please. icon_lol.gif As for advice there's not much I'm afraid there's not much I can offer, what works for me when it comes to been able to take all this orders it's that I'm unfortunate and at the same time fortunate enough to have insomnia, so when everyone is sleeping I'm usually in my kitchen working,+ I love hearing the "oh wows" in the mornings when my family wakes up and see the cakes. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif. besides with time you will get used to it. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 12

JoJo, I'm with you. I can't really do more than one big one in a weekend. I had a series of about 5 cakes spread out over a week and a half and I swear it nearly killed me icon_cry.gif I loved almost every minute of the decorating, but I have two small kids and a DH whose been working tons of overtime so I have do do everything late at night. I'm still recovering....
I do like it, but I had to turn down some orders because I just can't take it.

as for grad season, I have one big one coming up next week and I'm really nervous and really excited!!

edith, where in IN are you? I just moved to Zionsville, IN from CA and would you believe, I LOVE IT? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

AmyCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyCakes2 Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:25pm
post #7 of 12

My oldest dd is graduating next week, so I have hers for her graduation and her party. Then I have 3 other orders for graduations, two orders of cupcakes & two birthday cakes. All of this starts Monday and ends Friday - this includes a graduation & graduation party!
Am I CRAZY or WHAT???????

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 29 May 2008 , 9:33pm
post #8 of 12

you get faster and you stay up all night that's how you do it! lol I have 3 this weekend 4 last weekend 4 next weekend and a wedding the weekend of the 14th ...now I'm starting to view the weddings as a more relaxing time LOL I'm turning down orders too.....and most of my orders are for full sheet cakes which I hate to do!!!! They are just too big and I have 2 orders right now for double layer full sheet cakes! How on earth am I supposed to lift that??? yikes!!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:56pm
post #9 of 12

I don't like grad season! I don't like making onesy-twosy cakes. They take too much time for too little return. I can make a $300 wedding cake in just about the same length of time to make 2 or 3 $60 grad cakes. I think next grad season, I'm going to be totally booked. icon_sad.gif

JoJo4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoJo4 Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:25pm
post #10 of 12

Wow, you guys are amazing! I only decorate as a "hobby" and with the laws in CT it would be very hard for me to have a business out of my home. I only have one oven so that is limiting too and only one fridge. I guess if I had more ovens and bigger fridges it wouldn't be so bad. But I look up to all of you and give you so much credit for doing what you love!!

Thanks for all the responses!

Joanne

alicegop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicegop Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 12

I have more than usual this year! As a teacher..... I should just say NO! I have my own graduation stuff I need to do! Like getting my little cherubs who didn't do their homework to pass!

edith123 Posted 30 May 2008 , 12:11am
post #12 of 12

It seems like everyone it's pretty busy! Good luck to everyone during this busy season thumbs_up.gif Hi Jen Whitlock I'm in Hammond Indiana, and I love being here! icon_biggrin.gif I haven't been to your side of town how is it? how long have you been baking? feel free to pm me any time. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%