Im Confused - Cake Servings

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 29 May 2008 , 11:37am by indydebi

ljhow623 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:33am
post #1 of 8

Looking at the cake serving charts under the articles. The 3" cakes are the same at a 4" cake. How can that be? I'm trying to do a 3 tier cake for 50 and thought that if I shorten each tier to 3" I could do a small but nice cake to feed 50. Can someone help me out here please and explain this or give me a different serving chart for 3" high cakes.

Thanks,
Lisa

7 replies
tippyad Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:43am
post #2 of 8

Not sure if this will help, but check this out:

http://www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

KrisD13 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:00am
post #3 of 8

Cakes that are 3 inches high, once you put a filling in the middle, and icing on the top usually end up being almost 4 inches high.

Hope that helps. icon_biggrin.gif

ljhow623 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #4 of 8

so a 4" cake would be 5" when iced?

dandelion56602 Posted 29 May 2008 , 4:58am
post #5 of 8

My cakes usually end up about 1/2" to 3/4" higher after being filled and iced. I've always wondered about the servings being the same as well, but you just get a higer cake---it doesn't change in circumference. So, you'll get 1/2" to 1" more in the height, but you'll still get the same amount of cuts all around the cake. HTH

indydebi Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:12am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

My cakes usually end up about 1/2" to 3/4" higher after being filled and iced. I've always wondered about the servings being the same as well, but you just get a higer cake---it doesn't change in circumference. So, you'll get 1/2" to 1" more in the height, but you'll still get the same amount of cuts all around the cake. HTH

Agree. It can get a little more confusing when you do a 3-layer cake and make a 6" cake. Even tho' the surface and circumference area is the same, and you can only cut the same amount of pieces from a 6" tall cake as you do a 4" tall cake, you need to charge 50% more for the 6" tall cake since you are giving them 50% more cake per serving .... even tho' they are getting the same number of servings.

1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches = $3.00/serving
1x2x6 = 12 cubic inches = 50% more cake = $4.50/serving

tippyad Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:29am
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

Agree. It can get a little more confusing when you do a 3-layer cake and make a 6" cake. Even tho' the surface and circumference area is the same, and you can only cut the same amount of pieces from a 6" tall cake as you do a 4" tall cake, you need to charge 50% more for the 6" tall cake since you are giving them 50% more cake per serving .... even tho' they are getting the same number of servings.

1x2x4 = 8 cubic inches = $3.00/serving

Indydebi,
Do you have an organized chart for you servings, prices? If you do would you be willing to share?

Thanks,
Tippyad
1x2x6 = 12 cubic inches = 50% more cake = $4.50/serving

indydebi Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:37am
post #8 of 8

I have flat-price pricing. $3/serving for 1x2x4 serving sizes. I've never had a request for a 3-layer cake, but if I did, it would cost 50% more. I use the wilton wedding chart to determine servings. http://www.wilton.com/wedding/cakeinfo/cakedata.cfm Here's a step by step on how to cut the cakes to achieve the wilton servings (and I actually get about 10% more pieces this way): http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page19.html

Sheet/rectangle cakes are just a "do the math" to determine number of servings times per-serving price. A 12x18, when cut in 2x2" pieces will yield 6x9 rows/columns = 54 pieces. When cut in 2x3" pieces will yield 6x6 rows/columns = 36 pieces. I base pricing on the 2x2 piece. They are welcome to cut it any size they want, but if they cut it 2x3 and they are planning 50 people, then they need to buy more cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%