Icing A Cake Smooth...

Decorating By tjsmommy Updated 29 May 2008 , 11:44am by jammjenks

tjsmommy Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #1 of 11

Hello icon_biggrin.gif I'm new here, & brand new to cake decorating!My problem is, no matter what I did for my daughter's birthday cake (I made her the Wilton Castle cake), I could not get the icing to have that smooth look icon_sad.gif It was my very first cake, so I'm trying not to be hard on myself, but on the other hand, I'm a perfectionist, & I'm pretty frustrated.Is there some kind of special trick to it?I used the little icing spatula, but I just failed miserably icon_sad.gif Any advice would be very greatly appreciated!!

10 replies
plbennett_8 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 11

Quite honestly, the very best advice that I can give you is to get Sharon Zambito's (Sugar Shack) DVD "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream" here:

http://www.sugaredproductions.com/

Other than that, you need to have a good crusting buttercream recipe, and you can also use the Melvira Method:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-42675-.html

And the Paper Towel Method:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html

Good luck! icon_smile.gif
Pat

dee-lite Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:32am
post #3 of 11

Yep, totally live by the viva paper towel method!

sugarshack Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:20am
post #4 of 11

here is a thread with my tips and recipe ( no longer sift)

jammjenks Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #5 of 11

I use the Melvira method. I used to try the hot spatula method, but since discovering her method (foam paint roller) I have never looked back.

nickymom Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:42am
post #6 of 11

Great links!

Lenore Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #7 of 11

We are all our worst critics. I have all 3 of Sharon Zamito's DVDs and they are well worth the money spent. I think your best bet is to get her 1st DVD-perfecting the art of buttercream. Good Luck.

jammjenks Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:43am
post #8 of 11

I made a chalkboard cake for teacher appreciation a couple weeks ago. I used the Wilton juniper green.

AmazingGraceCakes Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:07am
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenore

We are all our worst critics. I have all 3 of Sharon Zamito's DVDs and they are well worth the money spent. I think your best bet is to get her 1st DVD-perfecting the art of buttercream. Good Luck.

I love Sharon's videos, and the Viva paper towel method and just bought a high density roller to try the Melvira method.icon_smile.gif

tjsmommy Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:10am
post #10 of 11

Wow!!Thank you so much for all of the replies!You guys are awesome & so helpful!!I'll look over these links tommorow morning icon_biggrin.gif Thank you so very much again!!

jammjenks Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:44am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I made a chalkboard cake for teacher appreciation a couple weeks ago. I used the Wilton juniper green.

Oh, good Lord...Please pardon me. I just realized I put that in the wrong thread....DUH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%