Sour Cream

Decorating By hopesmith Updated 29 May 2008 , 1:50am by hopesmith

hopesmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hopesmith Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #1 of 9

When does sour cream expire? I've done an online search and I've read anywhere from 2 days before expiration date to 1 year after. I have some pound cakes to make and just realized that I forgot that sour cream was in the recipe. Its storming here and I didn't want to get out into the rain. I found an opened container in the fridge and the "sell by" date is April 29th.

Thanks

8 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:20am
post #2 of 9

Anything dairy like that I wouldnt use if the date says its expired. Your just asking for trouble if you do! Im surprised there isnt mold on it by now!
Definetly, dont use it. Someone could get sick.

hopesmith Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:25am
post #3 of 9

Thanks. I meant to say an "unopened" container but I think I would still be better off getting more.

weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:29am
post #4 of 9

Yah, Im sure if you open it, it probably has green fuzzys on the top! Sorry, I think your going to have to get wet. icon_sad.gif

hopesmith Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:31am
post #5 of 9

LOL I'm going to resist seeing those fuzzies and just throw it out. Thanks again!

weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:45am
post #6 of 9

lol, I dont blame you there!

hopesmith Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:37am
post #7 of 9

Just to show how dorky I am, I called the toll free number on the container. They weren't there but one of the faq's was how long was the shelf life of sour cream (so it's not just me LOL). They recommend using within 2 weeks of the sell by date.

weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:46am
post #8 of 9

lol Yah, I think your a bit beyond that!!
I just noticed you were in Macon. I worked for a company that had its home base there.

hopesmith Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:50am
post #9 of 9

just a tad bit. I opened the container, no green fuzzies but it was kinda runny. I'll have to go out tomorrow and get some. Hopefully its not raining then.
What company do you work for?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%