Do You Chill A Cake Before Covering In Fondant?

Decorating By EmilyGrace Updated 29 May 2008 , 2:18am by sugarshack

EmilyGrace Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:50pm
post #1 of 10

I was just watching a video on youtube and the lady said you always want to chill your buttercream frosted cake before applying the fondant so that the buttercream is not soft. Does anyone do it this way? I've chilled buttercream covered cakes before and when I tried to apply fondant it wouldn't stick. I had to scrap off the buttercream and start again with a fresh layer so the fondant had something to stick too. Am I doing it wrong??
Here's the video in case you want to see:

9 replies
EmilyGrace Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #2 of 10

Also, how thick do you layer the buttercream before covering in fondant?

weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:18am
post #3 of 10

Yes, I always chill my cakes before covering them in fondant. First of all, a chilled cake when you torte it and level it crumbs less. But when you put any type of icing on and want to cover it with fondant, you want it to be firm (not hard) so that when you lay the fondant on the cake it doesnt squish out the bottom!

EmilyGrace Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:24am
post #4 of 10

how does the fondant stick to the buttercream if it's firm (or crusted over)?

weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:38am
post #5 of 10

Because when you press on it to smooth it out it automatically sticks. You dont want it in there for longer than 8 to 10 minutes. So the icing is set but not hard. You know what I mean?

EmilyGrace Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:54am
post #6 of 10

Oh, okay! I'll give it a try! I left my buttercream covered cake in the fridge overnight before trying to cover it and it wouldn't stick at all... I'll try it for 8 min.
Thanks for your help!

Ursula40 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #7 of 10

you could also VERY lightly spritz your bc with water, that helps with the sticking as well, but VERY lightly

weirkd Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:07am
post #8 of 10

Yah, that sounds like it was completely crusted. If that ever happens you could take a spritzer bottle with water and lightly spritz it (not enough for it to be soggy).

JenniferMI Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:09am
post #9 of 10

I never chill my cakes before placing the fondant and I always put a normal layer of icing on. You just need a firm bodied whipped type (like whipping cream)

Jen icon_smile.gif

sugarshack Posted 29 May 2008 , 2:18am
post #10 of 10

I trim my cake sides, use a crumbcoat of BC, chill, dampen with paper towel and then apply fondant for flawless results!

Quote by @%username% on %date%