Can Anyone Tell Me What Decorating Tips Were Used To Make

Decorating By sunflowerfreak Updated 29 May 2008 , 10:18pm by FromScratch

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:19pm
post #1 of 17

Does anyone know what decorating tips were made to make this cake? And what kind of Gold (luster dust etc.) was used? I am clueless and would appreciate any kind of help. I am going to make a 2 or 3 tiered cake with a photo for a 50th wedding anniversary cake in 2 weeks. Thanks

sunflowerfreak
LL

16 replies
ericaann79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaann79 Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 17

The white piping is just the star tip. The gold is too hard to see in the picture so I can't tell what tip it is, but gold luster dust painted on is how it got so gold.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:38pm
post #3 of 17

It look like it was all done with a star tip with a round tip for some of the scrolls and the writing. Pretty basic and not too hard to do. The gold is painted on after. icon_smile.gif

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 28 May 2008 , 11:39pm
post #4 of 17

How do you paint gold on BC? (I know.. I have to be difficult)

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:55am
post #5 of 17

I am also wondering what mold she used to make the gold part. You can even see how she has gold dragees on the fondant. Does anyone know where I can get a mold like that? Also what decorating tip was used around the picture?

I don't think you can put luster dust on buttercream Wgoat5. Anyone else know if you can?

Any help with this cake would be appreciated!!!!

wgoat5 Posted 29 May 2008 , 12:58am
post #6 of 17

OMG.. I think I had a brain fart.. there is no way this can be bc painted with Gold.. it would have to be a mold of some sort in fondant maybe? Painted SEVERAL times to get that gold of a look.. or maybe the whole thing is fondant.. but if you look between the pic and the border it sure looks like BC!!! Or am I blind? LOL

bec_elias Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bec_elias Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:09am
post #7 of 17

I was wondering the same thing! Is it even possible to paint BC?

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:13am
post #8 of 17

I have a picture frame mold like that. It could be a gumpaste or fondant plaque on top of a cake, with an EI on it.

And no, it wouldn't take much gold if you use the liquid gold instead of the powder.

I got the from a vendor on eBay.UK who was going out of business.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Mizuki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mizuki Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:15am
post #9 of 17

That's a really bright gold. Is it possible that it's edible gold leaf?

yelle66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yelle66 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:17am
post #10 of 17

I would say RI painted with luster dust would work, right?

Danielle

wgoat5 Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:20am
post #11 of 17

yep.. it would work (the RI)

But I really think Theresa is right on this one.. I believe it is a picture frame mold icon_biggrin.gif

And I know someone on here uses edible liquid gold... OR I have seen it done with gold mixed in the piping gel.. Tonedna does that..

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:28am
post #12 of 17

Stupid I know, but just to be clear, that rectangular part is the cake board right? icon_razz.gif

FromScratch Posted 29 May 2008 , 3:32am
post #13 of 17

Yes.. it's a cake board.. a tacky one, but a cake board. I will admit my SEVERE aversion to foil cake boards though so I may be jaded. icon_lol.gif

I think that the "frame" is fondant in a mold painted. You can paint a crusting BC, but I'm not sure if you could get it really bright like that.

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:08pm
post #14 of 17

WOW-Where could I get a frame mold like that one? It's beautiful. I've looked on line and can't find anything like it. Does anyone know where I can get one? The cake is due June 14th so I only have 2 weeks to get the stuff that I will need to make this cake. Also, where can I get the liquid gold? HELP!!!

sunflowerfreak Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:10pm
post #15 of 17

What could I use for a cake board that wouldn't look tacky? I have a round and a square silver plateau. I am going to make the bottom of the cake a square and put an oval cake on top of it with the picture in it. But wouldn't it look weird to have a silver cake plateau with a gold cake-50th wedding anniversary?

FromScratch Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:16pm
post #16 of 17

Yeah.. I think the gold with a silver plateau would be a wee bit clashy.

If you are making a square cake I'd do a square cake board. What I usually do is glue 3 cake boards together (making sure to alternate the "grain" for stability) and then cover them in fondant. In my photos the Memorial Day cake's cake board is just that. You could do that and then glue gold ribbon around the board. Or a white/ivory ribbon and then a thinner gold ribbon. The memorial day cake board has three different ribbons on it.. a navy one, a white one, and then the thin red one with white polka dots. You could also use small cokie cutters to press into the fondant around the base before it hardens.. that would be pretty too. There's no limit to what a cake board can do for a cake. I like to make it 4" bigger than the cake so a 10" would have a 14" cake board and so on. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Posted 29 May 2008 , 10:18pm
post #17 of 17

The photo frame mold is usually just the border. so what they did was to make several and then arrange them in an oval..

This is what they look like. icon_smile.gif

http://www.globalsugarart.com/product.php?id=16830

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%