Home Bakery Inspection

Business By courtney1009 Updated 29 May 2008 , 11:46am by acookieobsession

courtney1009 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
courtney1009 Posted 28 May 2008 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 3

I am going to get my home bakery license and I was wondering what the inspector looked at when they came. Has anyone undergone this in Ohio? Or just in general. I guess I"m wondering if it's like a real health inspection like they would give a restaurant or if they just look to make sure your kitchen is not dirty. Do they check your whole house or just your kitchen.

2 replies
Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 29 May 2008 , 1:52am
post #2 of 3

I have not had my kitchen inspected yet (and I am in NC)... however, I know of a few things that they look for:
thermometers in fridge and freezer (and proper temps)
paper towels for hand drying
no indoor animals in house
proper storage of food (cooked food is above raw food in fridge, food that should be stored in fridge is in the fridge - not in cupboards)
every thing is very clean
antibacterial hand soap at the sink
clean bathrooms
light fixtures in kitchen can not have exposed bulbs (if the bulb breaks, it can't fall into the food)
... I am sure there is a bunch more stuff too
I don't know about checking your whole house... but they will want to see the closest bathroom to your kitchen.

You may want to look into a ServSafe book - the national certification that is used in restaurants for sanitation training.

Some inspectors in NC will ask you to prepare something in front of them... I am guessing to check that you use gloves and hair nets when needed. I know people will make simple things like buttercream or chocolate ganache.

Hope this helps...
marci

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 29 May 2008 , 11:46am
post #3 of 3

About the lkight bulbs in NC...you can have exposed bulbs they just have to be plastic coated. you can get regular sized bulbs plastic coated at lowes, but the can lights (floods) you have to order online.

HTH

Julia

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%